Replacement cooking grate ideas for 2000 (DD) Genesis Silver B grill

Do the broken welds actually affect anything?
Eventually, with the least bit of mishandling, the other end will break and I don't plan on placing the bars back on a few at a time. As soon as both sides of one of the bars gives out, I'll order the replacement. If I can find the original Weber cooking grate for a better price than I found thanks to @Steve Hoch, I may order it even sooner.

QuliMetal 7mm if you're trying to save a couple bucks otherwise
QuliMetal 9mm are fantastic.
Options better than this are getting stupid expensive.

The one big benefit of solid grates (either CI or SS) is that they hold heat much better than the stamped steel ones. This is a big benefit when opening the lid to check temps or just monitor a cook. They retain a lot more heat which means your ambient grill temps will not fluctuate so much when opening the lid and the internal temp will be back within range much quicker after closing the lid.

20240807_183126~3.jpg
I like the quality of the QuliMetal Grates. The 9mm are very nice but the 7mm are also excellent for a 7mm maintaining the same size gaps between bars as the 9mm by adding extra bars. Not all brands have nice tight spacing. It's a cost-cutting measure to use less bars with larger spacing. I personally like the nice tight spacing. I put all different types of things on my grill and it's nice to not lose food through big gaps between bars.

Josh, how many bars per grate are there on the 7mm qulimental grates?
16 bars on the 7mm. I just read the specs also and the spacing is just a tiny bit more than the 9mm. 1cm vs 1.2 cm.

The 7mm QuliMetal that I compared in the picture is for my S330 build and that one has 18 bars with 1cm gaps so maybe not a perfect comparison.

The one big benefit of solid grates (either CI or SS) is that they hold heat much better than the stamped steel ones. This is a big benefit when opening the lid to check temps or just monitor a cook. They retain a lot more heat which means your ambient grill temps will not fluctuate so much when opening the lid and the internal temp will be back within range much quicker after closing the lid.
That's something I hadn't considered!!

So, if I said, the money doesn't matter (an extra $50ish) would I not be better off getting the 9mm grates over the 7mm. I'm like Joe Weekend - burgers, steaks, chicken breasts, with the occasional piece of fish. I have never done or been interested in rotisserie, smoking, ribs, roasts, etc. And while we're on this subject, even though my flavorizer bars are still sound, Porcelain coated steel or stainless. Which brand/s other than Weber? I'm thinking stainless for the same reason I prefer a stainless grate.

Mostly if all you care about is keeping your food out of the fire the 7mm will do the job fine. But if you like the black lines so many here do along with the extra heat absorbing mass, than pop for the heavier 9mm you will not be sorry

So, if I said, the money doesn't matter (an extra $50ish) would I not be better off getting the 9mm grates over the 7mm. I'm like Joe Weekend - burgers, steaks, chicken breasts, with the occasional piece of fish. I have never done or been interested in rotisserie, smoking, ribs, roasts, etc. And while we're on this subject, even though my flavorizer bars are still sound, Porcelain coated steel or stainless. Which brand/s other than Weber? I'm thinking stainless for the same reason I prefer a stainless grate.
Definitely SS flavorizer bars. Just like the grates you get what you pay for. I don't like to skimp on flavorizer bars and grates especially on a grill I plan on keeping and using. On the other hand I see other people sometimes like to go cheep and replace more often. I prefer to spend more upfront to buy once for something quality that will last but you could get something cheaper and just replace for a new set for a lower cost. No wrong choice either way. I think even cheep non 304 SS flav bars will probably last several years so....

Definitely SS flavorizer bars. Just like the grates you get what you pay for. I don't like to skimp on flavorizer bars and grates especially on a grill I plan on keeping and using. On the other hand I see other people sometimes like to go cheep and replace more often. I prefer to spend more upfront to buy once for something quality that will last but you could get something cheaper and just replace for a new set for a lower cost. No wrong choice either way. I think even cheep non 304 SS flav bars will probably last several years so....
Got a link to some quality Silver B SS flavorizer bars?

Got a link to some quality Silver B SS flavorizer bars?
These but NOT from this link.

Contact Dave here for a cheeper quote.

Weber flavor bars and grates

For a price difference example my 13 flavorizer bar Genesis cost me $117 all in from him through eBay and and exact set I bought from him on Craigslist was $85 all in including shipping. So significant savings and obviously your will be cheeper having less bars.

Last edited:
These but NOT from this link.

Contact Dave here for a cheeper quote.

Weber flavor bars and grates
Who's Dave?

I'm thinking this might be a decent set for the $:

QuliMetal grates and bars package pricing

71Ox7oTv5BL._AC_SL1484_.jpg

I just went out to measure to double check sizing. The grill has more broken welds than I thought, about 6-7. I should add that the burner functions are good to go. Down the road, maybe, but 100% for now.

Ooh yes you did great!!!!

QuliMetal doesn't make flav bars for my 13 bar or I would buy them.

You bought exactly what I would buy if I had your grill!
Well, thank you. I will give myself a little more time to hear from any others here but like I said earlier in the thread, the extra $50-60 I might spend disappears over the next years I'll continue to own the grill and the current grates do need to be replaced. I could squeeze another season, maybe two out of the current Flavorizer bars, but they are pretty grungy from a pitting POV. If this was my rig (vehicle), I'd have done it already. Of course, this grill still won't get used as often as my little Q1000 these days but the Silver B will be be used over the Labor day weekend so it'll be good to go.

Chris, these are what I put on all my rehab grills. I don't think you will find better ones for anywhere near the price. They are 16 gauge stainless steel and very heavy. I will not claim they are 304SS but they are non-magnetic for what that is worth. If you purchase them, don't forget to click the 5% discount box.

I have almost the exact same grill. Mine was a "special edition" which meant mica green lid, two flip tables, SS flav bars (still going strong after 20+ years) and stamped SS grates.

I swapped the stamped SS grates out for the PCCI 10+ years ago. I like those a lot -- more (personal preference) than SS rods. Among other reasons, I prefer to have black grates -- so the Mrs. does not bother me to keep scrubbing the SS grates to make them look shiny.

And then a few years ago I got (I know I know) a set of GrillGrates. They are awesome imo. I use the flat side primarily -- gives me greatly improved searing capability and are also handy for shrimp, veggies, smash burgers and other griddle type cooks. Reduces flare ups.

My standard set up is one side PCCI and the other side flat GGs. But depending on the cook, I will sometimes do all PCCI, all GG flat, or all GG rails. Works very well for me.

Last edited:
Chris, these are what I put on all my rehab grills. I don't think you will find better ones for anywhere near the price. They are 16 gauge stainless steel and very heavy. I will not claim they are 304SS but they are non-magnetic for what that is worth. If you purchase them, don't forget to click the 5% discount box.

Sorry Bruce, if you're linking to something on Facebook, I've never had an account with them so don't see anything but a list of photos of parts and things for sale.

Last edited:

Back