Renovation Genesis 2 has begun, lots of pics.

BTW, how do you add the grill icons at the bottom of your posts? I can't figure it out to save myself, doh! Thanks!

BTW, how do you add the grill icons at the bottom of your posts? I can't figure it out to save myself, doh! Thanks!

Click this link and it will take you to a page for editing your signature.

http://tvwbb.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

There, type the style of grill that you have and then click on the appropriate icon over to the right. If you don't see the type of grill you are looking for, click MORE and more icons will pop up in a separate window. Rinse/repeat for additional grills.

Incredible rebuild, what did u use to finish the wood? Really stands out!

Digging your avatar. I got the cedar strips from Lowe's in almost perfect dimension, only had to cut them down from 8' lengths. Then I sanded down and applied 3 coats of Teak Oil finish from Watco. I bought that at Lowe's too I believe, if not Home Depot. Painted it on, let it soak a while and wiped it down. It comes out really quite nice. Good luck and post pics if you do a rehab, tons of superb info and nice people on this board. Also, if you need hard to get parts call Weber direct, they are so nice and helpful it is refreshing these days.

Digging your avatar. I got the cedar strips from Lowe's in almost perfect dimension, only had to cut them down from 8' lengths. Then I sanded down and applied 3 coats of Teak Oil finish from Watco. I bought that at Lowe's too I believe, if not Home Depot. Painted it on, let it soak a while and wiped it down. It comes out really quite nice. Good luck and post pics if you do a rehab, tons of superb info and nice people on this board. Also, if you need hard to get parts call Weber direct, they are so nice and helpful it is refreshing these days.

I need to cut down some cedar to make a table. You only had to cut these lengthwise? I don't have a lowes by me, menards. I wonder if these would be inside by the finish trim or outside lumber yard.

Yes, incredibly lucky for me they came nearly ready to go, they were 1 3/8" x 9/16" x 8'. The wood that came with mine (not sure if they were original or not) measured 1 5/8" x 11/16" x 15 1/4". That was close enough for me :)

Hi, on the before/after picture of the inside of the lid I noticed you spray painted the interior. Is it safe to do this? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I should try it myself. Thx

What makes you think he painted the inside? First you should never paint the hood of a Weber as they are not painted they are coated in porcelain enamel (basically glass coating) second no paint on the inside of a grill.......................................ever

Hi Carlos, I didn't paint the inside of the lid, I simply used very fine steel wool, I think it was 000 and Simple Green cleaner. Just spray the Simple Green and rub with the steel wool. It takes a lot of elbow grease ... a lot of elbow grease, but will result in a mirror finish. You can do the same for the outside of the lid. You really never want to paint the inside of the lid or the cook box no matter how tempting. I hope this helps and please post pics of your work!

Hi, on the before/after picture of the inside of the lid I noticed you spray painted the interior. Is it safe to do this? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I should try it myself. Thx

EdW, cool. You did such a great job cleaning the interior lid, it looks like a mirror finish (this is why LMichaels), I confused his elbow grease for paint, I didn't know it was possible. Thx for clarification guys!

What an awesome rescue! That is some amazing work my friend.
I have done a couple, but never with something that far gone.
Bravo!

First I sprayed everything with Simple Green to try and get all grease off. Then I scrubbed all the surfaces with Scotch Brite pads. The outsides were fairly clean. If there was heavy grease, I scraped it with a putty knife. I have a knife blade sharpener I used on the putty knife to keep it sharp. On the lid, I used simple green and 000 steel wool. It looks like it will never come off but just keep it wet and keep rubbing and the lid comes out like mirror finish inside and out. Then I sprayed the outsides only with the high heat matte black finish, several coats. Good Luck and post pics!

You're not saying you sprayed the outside of the lid did you? I ask because I'm in the early stages of a restore of my own (late 90's 700) and I'm having a tough time getting the outside of the lid to shine black. It's fairly shiny but has lots of white spots. Do I need to just keep rubbing and these spots will eventually come out or is this the best it's going to get?

IMG_4838_zpspcqrnokf.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4837_zps8tu4do9r.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4835_zps8kinjqze.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the help.

Hard to tell but it might be as good as it gets. I did spray mine with Simple green to keep the surface wet as I scrubbed with 000 steel wool. One of my lids was simply faded and I couldn't get it any better. I would work really hard on one spot and see if it gets better, keep surface wet. If it doesn't I'd continue on and finish. If it really bugs you like it did me :), you could always look on CL for a cheap one with a good lid and make the switch, that's what I did. Now I'm on the quest to change that lid to a redhead :)!!!

You're not saying you sprayed the outside of the lid did you? I ask because I'm in the early stages of a restore of my own (late 90's 700) and I'm having a tough time getting the outside of the lid to shine black. It's fairly shiny but has lots of white spots. Do I need to just keep rubbing and these spots will eventually come out or is this the best it's going to get?

IMG_4838_zpspcqrnokf.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4837_zps8tu4do9r.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4835_zps8kinjqze.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the help.

I should have said I only sprayed the lid with simple green, no paint inside or out. I did paint the end caps matte black on the outside only.

I should have said I only sprayed the lid with simple green, no paint inside or out. I did paint the end caps matte black on the outside only.

Right...was not planning to spray any part of the lid. Just wondered if you, or anyone else, had any advice for getting rid of those white dots. I used the Simple Green and 0000 steel wool and actually tried really putting my back into one portion of it but with no real change/noticeable difference. It doesn't look horrible but yes, it's eating at me a little. I like your idea of keeping an eye out for other grills for sale to use those lids.

Thanks for the quick response and oh yea, your project looks awesome!

Old thread, but I was wondering if the OP was still around and wouldn't mind answering some questions about the wood tables???

Back