Remote Probe Mod Options

Bill Moriarty

I've looked at and like the grinder mod to the WSM body rim to allow access for a remote probe cable, but I have questions for the forum about other approaches and the pro, cons or just don'ts.
1. Has anyone used the grinder method on the edge of lid instead of the body rim? I ask because ThermoWorks advises to keep the steel cased cable off of grill racks and having a slot in the lid versus the body rim might help with that. I also get that working with the lid is probably more challenging than cutting into the body rim.
2. Anyone just used the top vent as access for a probe? I can see it might pose a problem when lifting the lid off. Had to ask. ;-)
3. Has anyone drilled a hole in the lid for probe access without using a grommet, say an inch or two above the rim? I can also see here it could pose a problem when removing the lid.
Anyway, I just wanted to ask y'all before I "Git busy". Thanks!

Last edited:
I use ThermoWorks probes and I cut a notch in the midsection. It works great. On my performer I do run my probe through the vent without issue but this is because the performer has a lid holder. I would not advise this on a WSM but you are free to try. When I remove the lid I put the lid on a hook attached to a 4x4 post next to my patio to get it out of the way. The wires would be too much of a hassle.

I use ThermoWorks probes and I cut a notch in the midsection. It works great. On my performer I do run my probe through the vent without issue but this is because the performer has a lid holder. I would not advise this on a WSM but you are free to try. When I remove the lid I put the lid on a hook attached to a 4x4 post next to my patio to get it out of the way. The wires would be too much of a hassle.
Thanks for the input including using the hook on a 4x4 post. I have a 4x4 fence post closely the smoker so I'm going to but a hook and so the same. I'll likely cut the notch for the probe in the midsection rim as well. 👍

JWorden said:

Any photos of this?

Hope you all don't mind my asking, but what is the benefit of cutting a notch or even cutting a hole, versus just using the factory hole with the rubber grommet? I have made a number of mods to my WSM and am always interested in anything that improves my WSM.

Hope you all don't mind my asking, but what is the benefit of cutting a notch or even cutting a hole, versus just using the factory hole with the rubber grommet? I have made a number of mods to my WSM and am always interested in anything that improves my WSM.
1. My thermoworks probes do not easily fit through the weber grommet and mine actually split from pushing the probe through.
2. If you need to remove the lower grate the probes get in the way.
3. It's not fun pushing the probes out when you are finished while the WSM is still hot. I put my probes away immediately when finished. It's also very messy.
4. It's inconvent to run the wires from below the upper grate since they must run through the grate opening to reach what you are monitoring. If you are smoking on both grates the wires get in the way of the lower grate.

The notch at the top section is much more convenient. I worried about cutting a notch in mine as well but it's the best thing I did. If I ever got another new WSM I would do it immediately.

1. My thermoworks probes do not easily fit through the weber grommet and mine actually split from pushing the probe through.
2. If you need to remove the lower grate the probes get in the way.
3. It's not fun pushing the probes out when you are finished while the WSM is still hot. I put my probes away immediately when finished. It's also very messy.
4. It's inconvent to run the wires from below the upper grate since they must run through the grate opening to reach what you are monitoring. If you are smoking on both grates the wires get in the way of the lower grate.

The notch at the top section is much more convenient. I worried about cutting a notch in mine as well but it's the best thing I did. If I ever got another new WSM I would do it immediately.
Thank you for your response. I will definitely be considering notching my WSM.

Thank you for your response. I will definitely be considering notching my WSM.
I used a quarter inch angle grinder. Just make sure you have eye protection and take it slow. I needed a small file for the edges.

It will leak a bit of smoke but compared to the top vent it isn't worth worrying about. You can always try the side grommet first and if you experience any issues the the notch when you are ready.

Back