Refurbished My 2004 Genesis Gold C

The trex decking looks interesting. Maybe also worth trying is porcelain plank tiles with printed wood look. Around here, that stuff is available for cheaper than trex and is also not combustible.

Neither did I. I just googled it and Lowes has them. I think Mr. Lee may be on to something. I would think a masonry blade on a circular saw could work?
They look like like planks of wood but are made of porcelain with a durable printed surface. Only 1 cut is required per tile. A snap type of tile cutter should be enough to cut it.

Around here, they can be had for as low as around $1-$1.50/sqft.

Note that in the last couple years, I've seen stores sell patio tables with this stuff laid on top as a table top. It looks like real wood.

100559087_180x.png

Being ceramic, it's likely brittle, heavy for it's size, and doesn't flex. It's listed as 8mm thick which I think should be ok across 20" as long as you didn't drop anything heavy on it.

Yah, if it is truly "Ceramic", I don't think it would be a good choice for shelves.

Looks like the porcelain ceramic 4X48 tile we used all over the place at my old Florida campground community. Perfect for that humid and wet environment by providing the warm, pleasant look of wood while being resistant to water damage. I love the stuff - lots of color choices from dark wood to light and gray tones. I don't think I would want tile on my grill, though. It is tough when cemented to a concrete slab floor but brittle by itself.

It can be applied just like any tile. For wood floor a moisture blocking underlayment is generally an important aspect.

I like what you did with the bottom, I just finished one that did not have a bottom, it was missing when I picked it up. I tried selling it naked last year but it was late and I never had a taker, decided to store it for the winter and try again. Ended up grabbing some angled aluminum and a piece of trex decking. I really like the way it turned out.View attachment 25135

Curious how you setup the angled aluminum and trex decking. I have a couple grills where the Z brackets are rusted out, and need to get new slats. I don't want to deal with cutting / staining wood, so this would be a huge time saver for me.

You can cut the composite decking to lay across the cross members front to back. Then attach a piece along the front and back just inside the cross members to hold them in place.

I should have taken a closer picture before I sold it. I got a couple of angled aluminum strips ant used self tapping screws along the inside of the frame. With it mounted flush to the bottom of the rail there was just enough depth to make the trex flush as well.

Hi Samual...I did not get that fancy. I used Testers model paint in red. It was just a whim. We shall see how it lasts. :)

Back