Redhead Restore

Bret Blackman

Thanks to this outstanding forum, I was able to take this $5 Genesis 1000 Red Head Snap On edition and restore to near new. Replaced with stainless steel bolts where needed, painted the box and frame near box with rustoleum high heat ultra. Rest of frame was rustoleum 2x semi gloss. Wood replaced with new cedar and stained with jarrah brown Cabot deck stain. All new stainless burners and grates, new ignition and regulator. Polished and waxed the hood. Heats up to 550 degrees and cooks great! Thanks to many of you who’s posts helped me get this finished.

Attachments

• IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6443.jpeg
    IMG_6443.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6444.jpeg
    IMG_6444.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6446.jpeg
    IMG_6446.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6430.jpeg
    IMG_6430.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 71
Great job! You did a very nice job on that, really like the wood. Did you get the new tank level sticker from Weber?

First Snap-On Genesis I have seen show up on this forum for quite a while. They are getting quite rare. I would love to find one. Just because.
I don't even own a Snap On tool.

Excellent work! Now you just need to paint the Weber in the emblem red! I've restored one just like yours and also own a $40 Redhead Jr. that was used three times when I purchased it. Not big enough for the original owner.

Thanks to this outstanding forum, I was able to take this $5 Genesis 1000 Red Head Snap On edition and restore to near new. Replaced with stainless steel bolts where needed, painted the box and frame near box with rustoleum high heat ultra. Rest of frame was rustoleum 2x semi gloss. Wood replaced with new cedar and stained with jarrah brown Cabot deck stain. All new stainless burners and grates, new ignition and regulator. Polished and waxed the hood. Heats up to 550 degrees and cooks great! Thanks to many of you who’s posts helped me get this finished.
Now slap one of these on the tank and you're officially stylin'

Any thoughts on how to get this stained redhead looking good? Almost looks like bad acid rain damage. I did try a little auto swirl remover, but it made zero difference.1000004039.jpg

Any thoughts on how to get this stained redhead looking good? Almost looks like bad acid rain damage. I did try a little auto swirl remover, but it made zero difference.View attachment 83340
Not much you can do. Deep clean with something like simple green and 000 steel wool MIGHT get it better if in fact that is residue. If not being porcelain which is basically "glass" fused to steel, it's much too hard to polish

Some of what we call "Weber Fade". It usually affects black lids be does hit the other colors usually to a lesser degree. There is no known solution. If it won't come off with #0000 steel wool and a good cleaner, then "It is what it is". Embrace it or find another red lid that doesn't suffer from the problem.

I agree with both Larry and Bruce. A little fade isn’t the end of the world. My favorite Skyline had some and I still happily used it until I sold before moving.

That looks more like someone used sandpaper or similar to clean the hood. In a previous life, we used to polish glass optics (for large telescopes). You're probably going to need something much more aggressive than swirl remover (we used Cerium Oxide) to polish out.

Back