Red Head Genesis Rehab

I have to buy 5 or 6 cross burner tubes to get to about $8 a piece. I have plenty of Weber tubes so it works for me. For someone with only 1 grill a set at $14.99 is hard to beat
You can't beat it. But don't be foolish and try to say that it is the same thing, only cheaper. Anyone can see that it is not.

So sorry if this comes across as harsh! No harshness intended.

EDIT: Example...venturi. The Q 120 aftermarket burner I bought recently has no venturi. What does a venturi do? It causes the gas to mix with the air better. Why does it matter? Depending on the weather, without a venturi it can be difficult to get the burner to light, among other things such as promoting complete combustion. Look at the picture you posted of your Weber burner...notice the nice, long venturi area. Why does Weber do it? Because they are the best at what they do.

1600735808408.png
picture taken from https://www.semanticscholar.org/

Last edited:
You can't beat it. But don't be foolish and try to say that it is the same thing, only cheaper. Anyone can see that it is not.

So sorry if this comes across as harsh! No harshness intended.

EDIT: Example...venturi. The Q 120 aftermarket burner I bought recently has no venturi. What does a venturi do? It causes the gas to mix with the air better. Why does it matter? Depending on the weather, without a venturi it can be difficult to get the burner to light, among other things such as promoting complete combustion. Look at the picture you posted of your Weber burner...notice the nice, long venturi area. Why does Weber do it? Because they are the best at what they do.

View attachment 14640
Hi Ed, thanks for the detailed thoughtful response. The tubes are certainly not the same. I think you validated my use of new cross burner tubes with Weber tubes.

Thank you, BPratt! There's more, if you'd like to listen...

The aftermarket burners I have seen all have larger jets but fewer of them. Weber uses smaller jets spaced closer together while the Chinese favor larger/fewer...but if you were to measure the size and count the number of holes, and I am going to limit this discussion to my Q120 burner, the open jet area is nearly 10% more with the aftermarket burner. So what does that mean? Well, first accept that pressure and flow run counter to each other. If you have pressure, you have no flow, and if you have flow, you have no pressure. Hold one constant and change the other and that's what happens.

The expanding LPG gas squirts out of the orifice into the venturi and sucks in oxygen behind it. That gas mixture is trying to find a way out of the burner tube but is restricted by the burner jets...pressure builds and that's what causes the flames to "stand" away from the burner tube. The pressure inside the tube is fixed by the orifice size that limits the amount of LPG that moves into the venturi, which is matched to the desired burner size and output. If the jets are too large or too many, it's like trying to feed a larger burner...the flames don't stand as far, and under low valve settings a sudden gust of air can extinguish the burner. On the other end of things, and I am giving this an educated guess, the closer and "lazier" the flame burns to the burner, the hotter the burner is going to get. If someone has a better expectation of this, I'm all ears...I have witnessed the flame-out effect first hand.

Believe me, Weber has put a ton of time and money and thought into burner design. But the aftermarket burners do get hot, and if that's all you care about, it works. This is part of a very carefully engineered system, and Weber does their homework...a lot of it.

Here is why LMichaels is so adamant about quality grill brushes...

I don't recall but in that thread I may have mentioned I did NOT use a Libman brush. I had used a different one an elcheapo I use for cleaning burner tubes. I had forgotten to buy a new Libman so just went ahead and used my cheapo one. So bottom line I had the Q in action (which has cast iron "rougher textured" grates) and I used a POS brush I had been using on burners. What happened was my own fault. I stand by Libman brushes. Never had an issue and never expect to either. If you buy one and look at it closely you will see why I stand by them. The methods and quality are light years different/better than ANY brush I have ever seen or used. They are expensive. And I can only find them at one store. Menards in my area. The broken bristle from the cheapo btw helped my case when my wife sees me come home with a $16 grill brush only to end up tossing when it gets dirty. Now she knows why I spend that much on a grill brush

Genesis 3 side burner. All screws were rusted out. Will probably have to get the bracket fabricated. Where can I get the warning sticker that goes in the front of the side burner?

Attachments

• 7E9A4443-0D9D-48E5-8A1E-BC6AE3CF2468.jpeg
    7E9A4443-0D9D-48E5-8A1E-BC6AE3CF2468.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 17
  • 0EB5CA74-3B3C-4921-BF45-935A6C202200.jpeg
    0EB5CA74-3B3C-4921-BF45-935A6C202200.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 0A6F3D7A-C468-41F3-92E2-3FB33860A2A7.jpeg
    0A6F3D7A-C468-41F3-92E2-3FB33860A2A7.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 18
side burner progress.

Attachments

• 4BDD1C20-3921-419F-ADCA-5EA1C246CC61.jpeg
    4BDD1C20-3921-419F-ADCA-5EA1C246CC61.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 95E5E490-A4DD-4DCF-ABEC-6DC91E89ACD1.jpeg
    95E5E490-A4DD-4DCF-ABEC-6DC91E89ACD1.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 13
What can I polish the porcelain with to make it nice and shiny?

On the gas tank scale. Which is better — the old original one version or the updated 99243?

For cleaning porcelain a lot of us like Simple Green and 0000 steel wool where needed. You can go all out then with auto buffing compound and even wax. Wax may react to high heat, however.

What’s the name of this white little part? Can this be replaced? Especially the rusty holder.

Attachments

• D253CB96-C68E-4BF7-B25E-B2A67A9B3EAA.jpeg
    D253CB96-C68E-4BF7-B25E-B2A67A9B3EAA.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6
Lalo, It is an electrode for the side burner ignition. You might have a hard time finding that part. The push button ingnitor is still available

I found one of these with slats front to back...any idea what year those are? It is exactly the same other than that.
One of what? A Genesis grill? If so slats ran front to back on later 1st generation grills starting about 1992 and onward to the end of it's production in the late 90's

That is a genesis 3-4 I am pretty sure. Those were made in the mid 80's to early 90's.
Are we talking table slats or flavorizer bars. Table slats all ran front to back. Flavorizer bars were the 13 bar sets with a 5 bar row that ran side ways parallel with the burners and then a top layer of 8 bars running front to back.

That is a genesis 3-4 I am pretty sure. Those were made in the mid 80's to early 90's.
Are we talking table slats or flavorizer bars. Table slats all ran front to back. Flavorizer bars were the 13 bar sets with a 5 bar row that ran side ways parallel with the burners and then a top layer of 8 bars running front to back.
I was talking about the bottom shelf in particular...also noticed the side table boards were wider as well.

That looks to be a very early 90's Genesis 2. If it was 80's the slats would be very wide and run the opposite way
It is looking like this is going to be the one I restore to keep as my second gas grill. That is if they don't back out on me. Had that happen today on a different one.

Came across this old Genny the other day. Didn’t know at the time the wide table slats were factory made at one time. This thread and older ones attached were helpful.

Attachments

• 3F91303A-0A7D-4609-92DD-E7011A63D271.jpeg
    3F91303A-0A7D-4609-92DD-E7011A63D271.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 13

Back