Record Snow Fall

We're done with snow for awhile, next seven days will be sunny and mid 50s to mid 60s. This morning when I got up it was 9 degrees now at almost 1pm its 44, liking that.

Russ - do you have a snowmobile?

I've been enjoying the snow but I need it to melt so I can clean out my garage & make some more product that's about to come into demand.

53145672_10213887902853630_2800782511985131520_o.jpg

Clint, no I don't have a snowmobile. When I get don't shoveling & plowing snow I don't want to go play in it.

So far, after having no more than 3” in December, we have managed to end up at something like 68.5” for the season. Roughly four inches above average. I’ve had about as much winter as I can take but, there is more on the way predicted low for Monday morning is back in the negative numbers! Not sure how much snow is supposed to grace us tomorrow but, it doesn’t look like much.

Yeah same here. I truly think if wife retires next year we're leaving though maybe not as my dad and her mom are still with us. She just moved her mother here to Rockford in a nursing home last spring. Dad's still doing well here he is a couple weeks ago when we celebrated my brother's 60th. They rented out a sportsman club, reserved a range so we could plink a little and catered a nice meal. A very good time so my dad is still doing quite well even at 92. Still drives a little, passes his yearly driving test with flying colors, gets around and enjoys a good time yet. So maybe I won't get out of Illinausea as soon as I might want
qUG49dZ.jpg

Yep he had a really good time. I don't think he's gonna be picking up a 357 mag any time soon but he did just fine with that .22 AR15

Yeah I sold off most of my guns about a year ago. I kept my Ruger 10/22 that I converted to an assault style rifle, also my Ruger 9mm, ugly gun but as reliable as a brick. I must have 5000 rounds through it and it never has jammed or stove piped on me. Barb has her six inch stainless 38 S&W revolver which I put custom grips on, very nice gun. and my 38 S&W body guard which I drop in my pocket when I take the pups out into the fields. My special gun is a Stevens model 87A semi auto .22 rifle I've had for over sixty years the thing is a tack driver and super reliable.
The gun I miss the most is my AK47 with the 50 round magazine it was really fun to shoot although it could go threw a lot of ammo real fast.
What's nice is where we live I can take a fifteen minuet drive and be out in the national forest where it's okay to shoot in designated areas. Lot better than an indoor range.

March is coming in like a lion here, snow predicted for all day Sunday, 4 to 6 inches, then down to 5F at night.
Below freezing for highs for a few days after. :(

Yep, below 0 temps in forecast though not much snow but AGAIN lots of wind. I've said it before and I stand by it.............Global Warming my A$$

Ya know ever since I rebuilt my snow blower, we only had one snow fall and it was a few inches... Figures.
The cold tho hasn't let loose yet. The wind coming of the lake has been a real bear working outside.

Tim

You're way to far west to be influenced by Lake Michigan. At least 40 miles west. Lake effect does not cause any real influence much past 7 miles or so

Larry, I’m 45 miles from Lake Michigan and we get lots of lake effect here. But, it’s just been a terrible year here (since mid January) we are looking at 74” so far and they are predicting three or four days more of the white stuff! I’m really tired of winter!
Of course I’m east of the lake, so it does just work that way.

Last edited:
It can get pretty nasty down there! I’ve seen it. My late brother lived not far off LSD on sunnyside down in Wriglleyville.

Yep, did a 29 story on the east side of Wrigley ( Halsted St.) and in late may we were still wearing hoodies and gloves. I don't know, you always here it's warmer by the lake, and it usually is compared to this little Ice box we call the Fox River Valley, and Aurora is usually one of the coldest areas when we get a deep freeze.
But man, that wind coming off that lake just hurts when it's below zero.

Tim

Yep, did a 29 story on the east side of Wrigley ( Halsted St.) and in late may we were still wearing hoodies and gloves. I don't know, you always here it's warmer by the lake, and it usually is compared to this little Ice box we call the Fox River Valley, and Aurora is usually one of the coldest areas when we get a deep freeze.
But man, that wind coming off that lake just hurts when it's below zero.

Tim

I grew up in the Chicago area (Franklin Park) and my uncle would take me to the museum of science and industry usually in January. Then he would drive over to Navy pier and we would walk out to the end of it. Good Grief that was the coldest I've ever been, the arctic blast coming off the lake was so cold I couldn't breath. Every year until we moved to California he took me there. My uncle was from Sweden and loved the cold, me I hated every minute I was on that pier.

Last edited:
In the winter it's generally warmer by the lake (unless on the rare occasion it has frozen over) and in summer the lake is like nature's AC system. The typical weather system and prevailing wind in the upper midwest is from west to east so in MI it could very well have lake effect that far inland of Lake Michigan but here in IL because of that prevailing wind and the typical "east wind" is pretty rare and usually more northeast the lake effect typically stops or is non existent by the time you're 10 miles inland. Even when you're in the city itself most times the weather can be vastly different just a few blocks away from the lake as it would be in say Streeterville or such.

Back