Recommended #Wood Chunks / Ounces per type of meat

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Is there a recommended standard number of wood chunks or ounces of wood chunks that should be used based
on the type of meat that is being smoked with the goal of having smoke flavor in the background while the flavor of the
meat in the foreground?

That's hard to say based on your tastes and wood type being used.
Start small and work your way up.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/all-about-smoke-woods/#quantity

I would suggest two fist-sized chunks for chicken, turkey, or ribs, three or four for pork butts, brisket, plate short ribs. I like apple for chicken, turkey, ribs, and butts; oak or pecan for brisket and short ribs.

Like Timothy says, you can always add more smoke flavor next time, but you can't subtract it from oversmoked meat. If you find two doesn't work for you, try three next time. It really just depends on your preferences and palette.

It will depend on which type of smoker/grill your using, they say stick burners produce a lite smoke flavor when ran properly but I never had a 100% stick burner or ate food off of 1 that I was sure of. hard to give anything other than start low and work up till you get what you want, also the different meats will take smoke at a different rate so there is that to think about, birds take less than beef and pork generally ymmv

Besides the amount of wood you add, there is also the timing of when to add your meat.

Don’t put meat into a cooker that is belching white or gray smoke.

Too many variables....where you put wood.....how long before put meat on, etc. As well as how much smoke you like

Back