Recommendations

Sid - Georgia

Have moved into “Active Adult” townhouse community with a small patio area. Looking for a gas grill mostly for steaks, chops, chicken, burgers and fish. Probably will use 4-5 times per week. Just the two of us, only occasionally cooking for 4 or 6 at most. Is a 2 burner enough heat for searing? Would Spirit II be a good choice? Advantages of Spirit or Genesis models?

I’d look at a pellet grill with sear capability. Though gas is convenient, the taste makes all the difference. It’ll not only grill your steaks, chops, chicken and fish, it’ll also smoke brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc., etc.

You better check with condo board and check to see if you're allowed to grill. Most condo boards if they allow it at all ONLY allow electric grills. So there a Weber Q140 or 240 is the way to go. Otherwise I HIGHLY recommend a Q3000 or 3200 even over a spirit which IMO has pretty sketchy build quality. The Q is VERY stable, very easy to maintain, very versatile (there are even rotisserie kits for them) and actually cook better than a spirit. A little cheaper too

You better check with condo board and check to see if you're allowed to grill. Most condo boards if they allow it at all ONLY allow electric grills. So there a Weber Q140 or 240 is the way to go. Otherwise I HIGHLY recommend a Q3000 or 3200 even over a spirit which IMO has pretty sketchy build quality. The Q is VERY stable, very easy to maintain, very versatile (there are even rotisserie kits for them) and actually cook better than a spirit. A little cheaper too
Thanks. The HOA does allow gas/charcoal grills. I had never thought about the Q so will check that out.

Since they allow charcoal grills i highly recommend the Weber 22" Performer Deluxe which has the propane ignitor to light-up the charcoal with ease and a spacious metal table top. The price of this kettle is under $500.

If you have the room, the Performer with the gas assist is probably the best single grill you can own, in my opinion. If space is an issue and you want a gas grill, I'd go with the Q series. I have the Q1200 and that bad boy gets very hot and would be perfect for cooking for 2 and occasionally more. Personally, I would get a Q1200 ($200) and a Jumbo Joe ($70). Get the compact charcoal chimney starter ($14) for the Jumbo Joe. This way you have the ability to cook with either gas or charcoal, they both have small footprints but are both awesome grills. You can even do indirect/smoking on the Jumbo Joe with it's size. And, both of them are designed to be portable so you can even take them to the pool or for camping trips, etc. And, the Jumbo Joe works fantastic as a small firepit with some pinion wood chunks. Great smell and still a smaller manageable fire that can easily be put out by putting on the lid, and closing the vents. You could get a nice deck box for storage and both grills and all their accessories would fit in it with no problems so they are secured and off the patio when you aren't using them. You can also get a foldable cart for the Q1200 that would be stowable for both mobile use and to put away in the deck box for storage. Or you can get something like this that can be used by both grills.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B079BCGVST/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I'm with Mike. I have a Performer and a WSM, but the Q1200 gets most of the day to day grilling -- dogs, burgs, chicken, thin steaks. I also use it to grill vegetables when one of the other Webers is preoccupied.

Jeff

Having owned and used every size Weber charcoal grill except a 26, I was faced with your dilemma last year when a 20y.o. gasser about died. I was actually going to buy parts to revive it when I spied a new 3 burner Genesis on closeout. What to do? Like you I considered a two burner spirit before shopping for parts. I'm sure it would have been adequate except for larger crowds. I did buy the Genesis and my experience cooking frequently for two is that it is overkill on some cooks. That said the flexibility of three burners is wonderful. As you undoubtedly know, not everything cooks at the same rate but we all want to sit down at the same time. I'm glad I got the Genesis. It has met every need and not disappointed.

I agree with Steve that the advantages of multiple burners can't be over stated. I seldom have all the burners on my Genesis lite at the same temperature similar to the way I always have two temp zones on my performer.

Back