Really ?

I like the green. It's understated and looks more refined
Tell this to the folks here in the Dallas region. I once wanted to sell a fully restored grill with a green lid. No takers. When I put a SS lid on the grill, the grill sold within days.
Then I tried to give away the lid for free and still no one wanted it. It took a few weeks to get rid of it. I was close putting it out to the curb for bulky trash pickup but another Weber enthusiast finally picked it up.

Tell this to the folks here in the Dallas region. I once wanted to sell a fully restored grill with a green lid. No takers. When I put a SS lid on the grill, the grill sold within days.
Then I tried to give away the lid for free and still no one wanted it. It took a few weeks to get rid of it. I was close putting it out to the curb for bulky trash pickup but another Weber enthusiast finally picked it up.
Stefan, It does seem like there are regional differences, and definitely age taste differences. From what you have said, your area probably has a lot lower proportion of older people who would identify with the classic Weber/wood slats/etc. I think where I used to live in South Florida it was the opposite and now where I am in rural Indiana probably somewhere between. If I survive tax season (just a few more days!), I hope to start finding out.

I am glad your green hood didn't wind up in the dump but rather with someone who appreciated it. I remember you offering it and wanting it myself, but shipping is just too crazy now.

Your green hood is a great example of something to bring to our UPPER MIDWEST MEET next month for those of you able to attend. Nice parts like that green hood that can't be shipped cost effectively can certainly be sold or swapped at an in-person meet where shipping is eliminated.

I agree jon. I think I have a green lid out back. Seems that over the last couple years, I have done more green heads than any other color.
Anyway, I have several other color lids as well. I have one of those old burnt orange lids and a gray one as well.

Stefan, It does seem like there are regional differences, and definitely age taste differences. From what you have said, your area probably has a lot lower proportion of older people who would identify with the classic Weber/wood slats/etc. I think where I used to live in South Florida it was the opposite and now where I am in rural Indiana probably somewhere between. If I survive tax season (just a few more days!), I hope to start finding out.

I am glad your green hood didn't wind up in the dump but rather with someone who appreciated it. I remember you offering it and wanting it myself, but shipping is just too crazy now.
Yes I am glad that someone took it. I also had a red and a maroon lid which took some time to get rid off. These old ones are not that popular anymore where I live. People here want shiny SS grills.

Yah, pretty rare around here too. I have done 2-3 of them though. I think I might have one out back too. I like them.

Once the razor blade has done the heavy lifting of the paint phase, simple green and 4x0 steel wool should take care of the rest then, I generally finish off with Windex and paper towels. Have not gotten around to that this spring...yet.

Jon, how did you get that lid so shiny? I have asked on here several times and people say “Simple Green”. I use it as a cleaner but they never shine like that afterwards neither on my kettles or gassers.
Richard,
Timothy's advice is spot on. You can also go all out and use a buffer. That won't remove the "dreaded fade" but it will get some more shine out of your hood. I have used car wax, too. I may have done that on the "Christmas" picture of the maroon hood. Of course, that won't last and might even cloud up in high heat. I think Windex as Timothy mentioned is very helpful once it is good and clean.

Thanks Timothy and Jon. I will try Windex and see if that helps. Been doing just the Simple Green/0000 steel wool and then rinsing. 🤞🏻

The windex gets the residue from simple green and leftover grime off. It may not make a big difference, but it is a good final step. I always windex my grill lids just before buyers come to look at my grills.

@Stefan H , maybe the Green Heads do not sell in Dallas because you are in Cowboy Country and this seems to be an Eagle Green.
You are probably right. But I tried to market one of my green grills once towards Dallas Stars fans but that did not work either. I even added some free fan gear such as a grill mat and grill gloves. But since that was a total failure I stopped tailoring my grills towards sports fans.

Back