Read Any Good Books Lately?

Thanks!
I too, have blown through those Connelly books. The Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer series on Amazon are very well done too....
I just finished Resurrection Walk. I do not want to give anything away, but it sets a whole new course for any future Bosch and Heller books. I also enjoyed the Bosch/Amazon, Bosch:Legacy/Freevee and Lincoln Lawyer/Netflix series. Pretty good casting on all of them.

I think when I finish the Barrington book I'm reading now, (for the third time, best part of growing old, the memory doesn't work all that great, like
reading them for the first time lol) I am going to start all over with my Cussler books.

I agree that you can re-read many books and they are just as enjoyable all over again. Some think I have too much time on my hands, but I've read Hobbit/Lord of the Rings 15 times in my life. Peter Jackson read
them 19 times and look what he did... I've read A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) 5 times and am waiting for(ever) on the next book before startingagain. With luck he'll finish before one of us dies.

A different direction. I'm finally reading a real book after more than a year. (It's been a h... of a year!) I tremendously recommend The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck. Like me, he likes to do it himself. In 2007, he got so wrapped up on the history, he decided to get an authentic wagon recreation from the 1840s with a trio of authentic mules and took off to ride today's modern Oregon Trail (such as it is) from near KC to Oregon. Truly fascinating book! Across rutted plains, over modern highways and through cites, across rivers and desert, this man did it along with his rather unusual brother -- and the mules. His historical research is impeccable -- I've learned more about mules than I ever hoped to know. And it's mesmerizing! In depth history coming at you hand over fist, he explores the people and the realities of American expansion as he entertains with his own adventure.

I finished Killing Patton, wow excellent read. The level of detailed research he does in that book is incredible. I am now reading Killing the Witches. Again incredible detail. When done next up will be Killing Lincoln.
As a history buff these reads are incredible

I finished Killing Patton, wow excellent read. The level of detailed research he does in that book is incredible. I am now reading Killing the Witches. Again incredible detail. When done next up will be Killing Lincoln.
I do wish you would change your avatar, especially if you are reading those books!

I read the Kindle version of those books. You can spend an incredible amount of time and garner a lot of information if you click on the footnotes. I have The Witches book on hold at the library so it will be next. I am doing a Barrington book as a place holder.

I do wish you would change your avatar, especially if you are reading those books!
Come on. Maybe if you knew more about the man in the photo, (or even myself), you would understand. Please do some research. You might be surprised. So no, not gonna change it. And I also fail to see what one has to do with the other. I'm pointing out some VERY great history books and you go after my avatar?

Come on. Maybe if you knew more about the man in the photo, (or even myself), you would understand. Please do some research. You might be surprised. So no, not gonna change it. And I also fail to see what one has to do with the other. I'm pointing out some VERY great history books and you go after my avatar?
Ok, I give. I always thought it was Al Capone and Google Al Cqpone, you get wikipedia which seems to confirm it. Wrong?

Ok, I give. I always thought it was Al Capone and Google Al Cqpone, you get wikipedia which seems to confirm it. Wrong?
It is Al. And there is a reason I have that photo there which won't be disclosed here. But let's suffice to say if you dig into his info/bio more like a Bill O'Reilly doing in the "Killing" books you might find out things that dispel some of the more cold blooded aspects he's known for in legend. That's all. And my issue was he (or the reason he's there) has nothing to do with how much I am enjoying exploring history through those books

It is Al. And there is a reason I have that photo there which won't be disclosed here. But let's suffice to say if you dig into his info/bio more like a Bill O'Reilly doing in the "Killing" books you might find out things that dispel some of the more cold blooded aspects he's known for in legend. That's all. And my issue was he (or the reason he's there) has nothing to do with how much I am enjoying exploring history through those books
Thanks! Interesting!

But let's suffice to say if you dig into his info/bio more like a Bill O'Reilly doing in the "Killing" books you might find out things that dispel some of the more cold blooded aspects he's known for in legend.
I would like to find such a book! I had the "Killing Lincoln" in an audiobook and listened to it during my morning commute years ago. And every year, in November, I am saddened by the events of 1963, and I often think of how different things might have been had those two events not happened. Anyway, if you know of such a book about Mr. Capone, or come across one, please be sure to share it with us!

I would like to find such a book! I had the "Killing Lincoln" in an audiobook and listened to it during my morning commute years ago. And every year, in November, I am saddened by the events of 1963, and I often think of how different things might have been had those two events not happened. Anyway, if you know of such a book about Mr. Capone, or come across one, please be sure to share it with us!
I actually had a lot of info from a couple books I had found and obtained for my oldest daughter and also from first hand info of folks I knew personally who actually had known him and done things like have Sunday suppers with him and so on. So my knowledge goes a little beyond just the casual "observer". I don't have a clue what I did with all that research material or my daughter did with it. Or even what she did with the extensive college paper she wrote on him. If I remember I will try to ask her if she still has it.

You or Al Capone Larry? The quote and your comments suggest it's Capone.

Do a simple Google on "Al Capone History" and basically all you get is the negative and the movie/tv presentations along with a lot of commentary about how most of the "story" was made up for "excitement".

Oops: The quote under the picture is actually yours -- or may you quoting Capone. See how stuff gets botched?

You or Al Capone Larry? The quote and your comments suggest it's Capone.

Do a simple Google on "Al Capone History" and basically all you get is the negative and the movie/tv presentations along with a lot of commentary about how most of the "story" was made up for "excitement".

Oops: The quote under the picture is actually yours -- or may you quoting Capone. See how stuff gets botched?
No the quote is truly one from Capone himself (verified) due to my resources :D Though sadly now, all are passed on :( And yeah, that was the reason for my initial response. There is no doubt in my mind he was no saint. But, I would trust him or his kind more than our "govt" or even our banks or CC companies.

No the quote is truly one from Capone himself (verified) due to my resources :D Though sadly now, all are passed on :( And yeah, that was the reason for my initial response. There is no doubt in my mind he was no saint. But, I would trust him or his kind more than our "govt" or even our banks or CC companies.
Well, yeah, I dunno if I would go that far...the penalties for making mistakes are pretty severe in the one instance. Mr. Capone can be an imposing figure to many people, you'll have to admit. Many people are intimidated by him, too, and see his image as threatening.

But back to the topic of books...if you should find one that treats him favorably, I'd like to read it.

I have read Killing England, Kennedy, Reagan, The Mob, The Rising Sun and the SS. Enjoyed then all. Hard to choose, but I think Killing England was my favorite.

I have read some Dirk Pitt books but not Kurt Austin. If you also want some fun characters, try David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter books or Harlan Cobens' Myron Bolitar series. I have also blown through Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer) series. Add to that the Pendergast series by Preston and Child, and you have no end to fascinating characters. Then every so often I have to come to reality with true stories and history. I also like to read books made into movies so I can complain about how poor the adaptation was. Often it seems they read the first two chapters and said "good enough-let's start filming.
👍 I'm a huge Connelly fan.

I am now reading the 2nd book in the "Walt Longmire" series by Craig Johnson. So far I am enjoying them. It is hard not to imagine the TV characters when reading the book, but they do seem to blend in together nicely. lol
Great series!

Back