Read Any Good Books Lately?

Well, I finished Killing the Witches and am moving to a different part of American history-"George Washington's Secret Six" by Brian Kilmeade. I have been dragging my feet on this one because it is about the Culper spy ring and I have read a couple other books that cover it as well as watching the TV series "Turn" which was based on it. Still, I am sure I will learn more from this book and I love the writer's style.

I am in the final stages of "witches" and it's pretty cool how O'Reilly has transitioned into the story of The Exorcist. One of the Killing Books I am looking forward to ordering is "Killing Jesus". Really looking forward to that book through the eyes of a historian

I am in the final stages of "witches" and it's pretty cool how O'Reilly has transitioned into the story of The Exorcist. One of the Killing Books I am looking forward to ordering is "Killing Jesus". Really looking forward to that book through the eyes of a historian
Yep. As I was reading that, I kept thinking that sounds a lot like The Exorcist. Did not know it happened here in St Louis. That book did cover a wide range of American history. May not have been the most appropriate title, but Killing the Demons or Killing the Devil probably would not have sold well.

So I finished The Oregon Trail last night. Reminder: It's about a 2011 wagon/mule trip across the old Oregon Trail. Excellent read -- especially if you have the sense of adventure to think you might want to do that yourself. This may disabuse you!

Now I'm moving on to Mark Twain' s Roughing It and Joan of Arc. So happy I can go back to reading with my phone. Real books are nice but unwieldy and a bit of a chore. Give me digital reads anytime.

Using a Kindle takes a little adjustment period, but I now prefer it. I read in bed at night and the lighting and ease of holding it compared to a book is much better. IMO, a Kindle is vastly superior to a tablet or phone to read, it is like reading a well illuminated book rather than an LED screen shining in your eyes. Another great feature is being able to tap on a word and have the definition come up in a dictionary or an explanation in Wikipedia. It is one of those items that you will not hesitate to replace if/when it breaks. And, of course, the library has digital copies of about any title you can imagine. I used to have quite a library of physical books, but when we moved, I lost most of my shelf space and donated most of my books. The Kindle takes up little space.

The only disadvantage is the ability to flip to a section easily, especially like in a manual where on line is really frustration compared to paper.
My wife has a Kindle Whitepage (whatever) and I have always used the Kindle app -- previously on a tablet, and now my phone (3 different less expensive ones). No question about my preference for a phone with the Kindle app. Kindle's white screen is still glaring (to me) -- especially in a dark room. The Kindle device is nowhere near as customizable as the app. And app mods are easier to make. I much prefer a black background with light text in any light. Less eye fatigue -- I would say none. So the Kindle White page is irrelevant. Potentially you could misplace the Kindle anywhere. The one device I always have with me is my phone with Kindle app (and others).

But then, my wife doesn't change either.

My wife has a Kindle Whitepage (whatever) and I have always used the Kindle app -- previously on a tablet, and now my phone (3 different less expensive ones). No question about my preference for a phone with the Kindle app. Kindle's white screen is still glaring (to me) -- especially in a dark room. The Kindle device is nowhere near as customizable as the app. And app mods are easier to make. I much prefer a black background with light text in any light. Less eye fatigue -- I would say none. So the Kindle White page is irrelevant. Potentially you could misplace the Kindle anywhere. The one device I always have with me is my phone with Kindle app (and others).

But then, my wife doesn't change either.
I also have the Kindle app on my phone and use the dark mode because it does not glare and is much easier to read. It is great that your progress syncs and can switch back and forth with multiple devices. I do use my phone when away but still prefer the Paperwhite for extended viewing and reading in bed. The Paperwhite does have a lot of options for brightness, contrast, font, size etc. I also have a Fire tablet, but it just too big and heavy to use for my bedtime reading.

I just checked the books that I ordered. The ones that said they were left in mailbox never showed up. Anyone else having troubles with items being stolen?

Have a paper white Kindle. IDK where it is. I think I stashed it somewhere and forgot about it. Totally unimpressed with "electronic" reading. Honestly I just like the "feel" of holding a "real" book (even if it's a paper back). Some electronic stuff is OK. Occasionally when I have been trying to follow a verse or theme given by a pastor or in a bible study, the electronic version is very handy as I can simply go right to it. I know some folks who can pop one open (a real hard copy bible) and you can say hey, can you look this or that up, and they literally get it faster than electronic. That is not me :D

So I bought a refurbed Kindle SE with the cash rewards and a $30 promo for using the rewards at Amazon, $1.93 out of pocket. Started reading an epub book, "Falling", by T. J. Newman, and I don't remember how or why I ended up with this book, but 3 chapters in and I like it and the Kindle! Anyway, if someone here recommended it, thanks!

Just finished Killing Lincoln. Great read. So much I never knew. Just began Killing Jesus today. Already just a few pages in and can tell it will be an amazing read

After some history lessons and a couple Stone Barrington quick reads, I found "Win" by Harlan Cobin. It is a spin off from the Myron Bolitar series by the same author-highly recommended series. As with most of Cobin's books, I am still guessing in this one.

I also prefer "REAL" books, but last week while waiting for over 1/2 hour for Dr. in the room AFTER waiting over 1/2 hr. before that (and not a magazine in site, I told DH I am not doing this again. KINDLES, HERE WE COME!!!!!!

I also prefer "REAL" books, but last week while waiting for over 1/2 hour for Dr. in the room AFTER waiting over 1/2 hr. before that (and not a magazine in site, I told DH I am not doing this again. KINDLES, HERE WE COME!!!!!!
What is nice with Kindle is the ability to sync with your phone with their app and read anywhere. I find it hard to buy a Kindle book as I feel I have nothing as opposed to a real book. I use the Kindle almost exclusively to borrow almost any book from the library and that is its greatest feature.

IMO, the Kindle app for any phone is better than the Kindle device. My wife has the Paperwhite (her second Kindle) and, after trying it myself, will not put up with the limitations I encountered. My wife says the phone screen is not large enough which I consider bogus. The ease of use on the phone and the fact that I try to always keep it with me, far outweigh another paperweight and extraneous device. I've read hundreds of books on my phone, even in non-Kindle format and with pictures. I actually first started with a Kindle app on a tablet, but quickly decided against yet another device.

If you think my suggestion may have merit, time to check it out. I have already burdened this thread too often with my opinion on this and won't do it again. (Sighs of relief from all around the country. :) )

Rich, only one problem there. I don't have a phone, (except for the land phone in my office.) The only time I leave it is with DH and he has his phone.

As for new books, I'm off-and-on reading a wonderful book that a friend recently gave me -- The Tar Heels by Ron Smith. It obviously will have limited audience, but for Carolina and ardent basketball fans, this is a wonderful read! Though I have only started, the writing, the basketball history, the bios and remarkable photos are completely captivating. I have learned so much relevant history of basketball! It's expensive, so likely only enthusiasts will care.

Back