Raspberry Chipotle Flatiron

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
Real simple. Rubbed a flatiron in Spicy Chipotle rub from Wiliams-Sonoma, then sauced it in a Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce from my local butcher, Carl Venezia. Mashed potatoes and some baked beans on the side made this a quick, and delicious dinner.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

I haven't eaten a steak in over 7 months and you are just about going to ruin that streak! Man that is perfectly cooked! Nice work Norman!

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I haven't eaten a steak in over 7 months and you are just about going to ruin that streak! Man that is perfectly cooked! Nice work Norman!

Thanks brother. But...

You haven't had steak in 7 months??? *** is wrong with you man? LOL

I'll make sure I have extra to make up for your lack thereof.

I have a couple monster porterhouses I'm gonna do up with a coffee-cocoa rub and a chipotle compound butter.

That looks wonderful! A lot better than the flat irons I grilled over the weekend. Things got away from me a little.
icon_frown.gif

Hayden,
Very nice cook.
Are you doin' anything special to make 'em more tender?
'bout all I can come up with on a FlatIron is "cut against the grain".

Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Hayden,
Very nice cook.
Are you doin' anything special to make 'em more tender?
'bout all I can come up with on a FlatIron is "cut against the grain".

Not really. I try and find a piece that has good fat distribution, and has a uniform thickness from one end to the other. This was abut 1/2-3/4" across the board. I simply tossed it on over direct high flipping every 2 minutes for 8 minutes. 75% came out medium rare, the other 25% came out rare...so I through that piece back on for a couple minutes.

I cut against the grain on the diagonal, real thin like. Same way I do up a tri-tip.

You nailed it! The sides made me instantly hungry. Beans and taters!!!!! Great combo. Man, I can almost taste that steak.

Originally posted by JoeW:
For some reasons I can't find Flatirons around here. Are they sold under another name?

petite steak, butler steak, lifter steak, book steak, shoulder top blade steak...to name a few.

Back