Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Because it's a larger vehicle, I have to have a "weighted" tag here in NC! I got a call from the dealer today asking how heavy my camper is. I'm guessing the heavier the camper, the heavier the tag costs! 😳
I specifically asked about that here in MN, and unless I'm towing more than 10k lbs., a standard plate is sufficient.

Yeah, we were surprised by this too! I thought that that was only if I was using it for business purposes
Best part for me is being able to [legally] use the express lanes around Chicago (MN plates.) Pickups in IL are required to have a "B" plate, considered to be business PERIOD, and can't use the express lanes.

IMG_7612.jpeg

Hidden Valley’s roots in ranch date back 70 years when plumber-turned-cowboy Steve Henson invented the buttermilk-and-herb concoction while working in Alaska and needing to make tasty meals for his colleagues. Henson and his wife began popularizing the flavor after moving to a ranch near Santa Barbara, Calif.— often sending guests home with packets of ranch powder.

Best part for me is being able to [legally] use the express lanes around Chicago (MN plates.) Pickups in IL are required to have a "B" plate, considered to be business PERIOD, and can't use the express lanes.
Unless they have an RV plate. Something I had to deal with when we lived in Chicago with a pickup. We did not own our own home and had to park on the side street (Major at Montrose Ave). So, all I needed was a camper shell and to keep an old sleeping bag in back. Boom issue solved.

Unless they have an RV plate. Something I had to deal with when we lived in Chicago with a pickup. We did not own our own home and had to park on the side street (Major at Montrose Ave). So, all I needed was a camper shell and to keep an old sleeping bag in back. Boom issue solved.
Hrrm.

A recreational vehicle is defined as "Every camping trailer, motor home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business" (625 ILCS 5/1-169).

I must be misremembering the IL RV plate code. The "used primarily for recreational purposes" could be problematic.

Hrrm.

I must be misremembering the IL RV plate code. The "used primarily for recreational purposes" could be problematic.
Well define "recreational". If it's strictly a "personal use" vehicle the line between "recreational and business" blurs quite a lot.

You also couldn't use LSD or any boulevard in Chicago or stay in the LH lane.
I knew alot of trade guys do exactly like Larry. I had a welder get pulled over on LSD. Cop noticed his tanks in the back and said this is not a RV.
Guy said this is what he uses to cook with at the camp grounds.
Cop let him go.

There are a couple toll roads around here and I have a transponder for all of the toll systems around the country
I use the Monroe bypass every time I go see my mom. It cuts about 30 minutes and 4 zillion stoplights!!!
There’s an express lane(s) on I77 that I refuse to use. It was built by a Spanish company that does NOT have a great track record with their toll lanes around the world. Many of them have gone into bankruptcy. And the tolls are expensive! More so during rush hour!

Yeah, that was when they started the tollway system. 56/57 something around that time frame. I can even remember the ad jingle and all the touting of how all the tolls would be removed by 1963. Yeah right. Not in this state. Do you remember Paul Powell and the shoe boxes full of cash he had stashed they found when he died?

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk expressway went toll free shortly before I moved to Charlotte in 1995
Some bean counter in Richmond determined that all of the dimes and quarters finally added up and it had been paid for for several years!

I like the Old No. 7 for cooking, but otherwise go for other offerings when sipping. The JD offers a nice smoky, sweet flavor though. Enjoying some Bulleit 10 Year as I type this.

Daisy woke me up at 5 this morning to go potty
Since we were getting up at 6:30 to meet the boys for breakfast, I decided to just leave her downstairs
Damned if about the time I got back in bed, Levi started whining too!
I just took him downstairs and stayed there too!
My one hour nap this afternoon was well earned!

Well, just got back from our first camping trip with the new RAM, the B.A.T.
This truck hauled the camper like nothing else!
We had just upgraded our weight distribution hitch right before the F150 started having electrical issues, so I'm not sure if it was that or the bigger honking truck, but I found myself easily doing 70 with it! I definitely had to watch out for that
Bad news though. Had a flat on the camper yesterday on I95 outside of Beltsville, MD. Luckily, I carry a jack rated for the camper and a spare
More bad news. The other tire on that side was damaged and needed replacing
But wait, even MORE bad news! My jack lifted the camper up enough to take the flat off, but not enough to get the spare on! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Luckily, a trash crew came along and had a taller jack that got it up high enough to get the spare on. That earned them a $20 tip for some beers after work!
$400 later, I had a new spare and new tire on the camper
Unfortunately, that held me up and into rush hour traffic around the DC area :mad::mad::mad:
What should have been a 5 1/2-6 hour trip turned into a 9 1/2 hour trip!
I'm getting too old for this mess!

Well, just got back from our first camping trip with the new RAM, the B.A.T.
This truck hauled the camper like nothing else!
We had just upgraded our weight distribution hitch right before the F150 started having electrical issues, so I'm not sure if it was that or the bigger honking truck, but I found myself easily doing 70 with it! I definitely had to watch out for that
Bad news though. Had a flat on the camper yesterday on I95 outside of Beltsville, MD. Luckily, I carry a jack rated for the camper and a spare
More bad news. The other tire on that side was damaged and needed replacing
But wait, even MORE bad news! My jack lifted the camper up enough to take the flat off, but not enough to get the spare on! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Luckily, a trash crew came along and had a taller jack that got it up high enough to get the spare on. That earned them a $20 tip for some beers after work!
$400 later, I had a new spare and new tire on the camper
Unfortunately, that held me up and into rush hour traffic around the DC area :mad::mad::mad:
What should have been a 5 1/2-6 hour trip turned into a 9 1/2 hour trip!
I'm getting too old for this mess!

Traffic around here is such a joy! Glad you were equipped and able to get on your way without too much trouble.

Back