Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

I went to see my grandson play 3 different parts in the 3td grade production of Beauty And The Beast!
He was a villager, a wolf and a knife!
Being the good grumpy that I am, I asked where his lightsaber to fight the space pirates was!!
šŸ˜‚
šŸ˜‚

1716510097032.png1716510118059.png1716510133417.png

Went to help Pammi at the school carnival today and had way more fun than I should have!!
They had a face painting booth, and the kids were coming up to me and asking what I thought of their art
I was telling them that their art was something other than what it actually was and getting ridiculous with it!!
My grandson came up with a football on his face and I complimented him on his Wonder Woman! Hearts were called skull and crossbones, rainbows were called either beaches or bonfires!
The howls the kids had were the best!!

IMG_7826.jpeg

As the world warms, extreme weather is disrupting the production of some of lifeā€™s great comfortsā€”wine, olive oil, coffee and cocoa. Some of these crops are concentrated in one or two regions, which means wonky weather in one part of the world can have a dizzying impact on global prices.

Heat waves and untimely rain in West Africa have sent cocoa prices to record levels this year, causing chocolate makers to raise prices. Traders are hoarding coffee after a severe drought in Vietnam, the worldā€™s second-largest producer, pushing prices of the Robusta variety to a 45-year high. The more-coveted Arabica beans have also recently become costlier.
In Italy, heavy rain caused a surge in grape-devouring mildewā€”one of a number of severe weather events that sank global wine production to its lowest levels since 1961.

IMG_7828.jpeg

If you have heard of titanium dioxide at all, you probably know it as an ingredient in sunscreen. But it is also used in lots of foods, from pizza and salsa to frosting and candyā€”and now, there is growing concern about the potential health risks of eating it.

The ingredient helps block the sunā€™s rays when we slather it on our skin at the beach. Food makers use it to brighten up colorsā€”think whiter mozzarella on your frozen pizza or more vibrant hues in your Skittles. Some research, mainly in animals, has suggested that eating it might be linked to immune system problems, inflammation and DNA damage that could lead to cancer.

Whatā€™s tricky: It isnā€™t always easy to tell whether titanium dioxide is in your food. Manufacturers donā€™t have to list it by name on packagesā€”it might be identified on a label only as ā€œartificial color.ā€ But some do disclose it. And some food makers are reformulating products to remove titanium dioxide as questions about it grow.

One of the Saudi Royal family recently said something like ā€œ my grandfather rode a camel. I road rode a Rolls Royce.
My grand kids might ride a camelā€.
When asked about what he was talking about he said that rich men make weak kids and that poor men made strong kids.
I think he may have a point.

I am still trying wrap my head around titanium dioxide in pizza and "WHY?"
The article said that the food producers that use titanium dioxide say itā€™s safeā€¦

I am a little skeptical.

But I put the article up here because I never heard of it and thought it was something to be aware of, even if itā€™s legal to list it a only a ā€œfood coloringā€ if I recall correctly.

My wife is on a diet that requires her to be gluten free, dairy free and no soy. We donā€™t eat out or buy too much processed foods, so I am not too worried about titanium dioxide, but as it happened last night at dinner my daughter talked about a party at school where they had store bought cupcakes, and it got me thinking if it was in the frosting.

Sad.

But still I can't understand the purpose of it's inclusion
From the article:

Food makers use it to brighten up colorsā€”think whiter mozzarella on your frozen pizza or more vibrant hues in your Skittles.

Why titanium dioxide is in your food

In general, manufacturers add titanium dioxide to make products look more appealing. ā€œA very small concentration makes something look very white and bright,ā€ said David Julian McClements, a professor in the food-science department at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Adding it with other colors can make those colors pop, he said.

Titanium dioxide is most prevalent in candy, coffee creamers and frosted or powdered baked goods, said Kelsey Mangano, associate professor and nutrition program director at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. The substance is also in many chewing gums and mints.

Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I stopped in. It just seems I'm so busy now. I used to have time to read almost everything and reply to almost anything I chose to. Now. I don't have time to read much of anything and haven't replied to anything at all for a while. Just going through some of the different topics and threads. It's clear I will never catch up. But it's good to see everyone still posting and their familiar faces. Still doing what they do along with some new names I don't recognize. Just because I haven't been posting here doesn't mean that I haven't been grilling or barbecuing or smoking. That's almost every weekend for me and sometimes twice a week out. Except for a couple of months ago where I went 2 weeks without being out on my patio cooking something. It felt weird šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚šŸ˜Ž.

So with that being said, just have to say now šŸ†, winning!

Back