Raise your tongs if you're ready for some winter grilling!

if it snows here in the calif central valley do I get to join ?
Sure you can George, if you show a pic of the snow, and you wearing one of these:
Faux-Fur-Trapper-Hat.jpg

I was raised in the Chicago burbs in the 50s to early 60s and now live in the high country of Arizona. Snow to me is a four letter word, it took me twenty years to warm up after leaving Chicago. We get snow here but it dosen't stay very long, which is a good thing. I do have one member of the family who loves the snow and goes out a sleeps in it, but for me snow = crock pot or dutch oven and a warm fireplace crackling away.

Snow2012013_zps2428188f.jpg

Sheila, get some Blizzak tires. They really do work and make driving in the snow fun.
Ahhh....winter. My least fav time of year, but only because I hate to drive in this stuff. But there really IS something special about smoking in the snow. ...once you get a path cleared, that is.

This was taken Dec 26th, 2012. I had already been out there trying to keep a path open. :wsm:

i-hNxWPTC-XL.jpg

I like grilling in the winter. One thing for sure, you don't have to worry about your beer getting warm.
How does the WSM do in the winter?

I like winter grilling/smokin cause here in TX when its 100 degrees outside standing next to a 200+ degree grill is too much heat.

Tongs up!

we get quite a bit snow here on the eastern slopes of the Cascades -

10428946845_b858de5dea_c.jpg

We try not to let snow slow us down too much - This was last NYE - Did a nice rib roast

Tongs up for me also Bob. BUT if it is snowing hard or if there is a wind chill at 20 degrees...I will just raise my glass of wine to ALL of you great folks and enjoy your posts. :)

I built my new pit patio just so I had a decent place to cook in the winter.

I love getting up at 5:30 on a winter Saturday morning, good strong coffee and a cigar, firing up a chimney to dump into the WSM...

There is something special about the smell of hickory smoke at -20F.

I think we're due for a pretty good snow fall this year. I'll try to get some grilling in during that just to join!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. The grilling part, at least.

Been getting darker earlier recently, and noticed tonight how cool the starter chimney looks when full of hot coals and it's dark outside.

Bob, I shall raise my tongs and pledge to do some winter grilling. My WSM and Spirit will go into hibernation, but I'll keep the old-but-versatile red SS Performer ready to rock. This year, I'll smoke the Christmas prime rib, which will free up the oven for side dishes.

Plus, my neighborhood is very prone to power outages during snowstorms, so I may very well be left with no choice but to do winter grilling.

I see that all so cal and CA members have it made here in regards to grilling and BBQ. That's some serious snow when you guys are grilling.

The way it looks, I'll be cooking in the snow tonight. Not a lot, but enough to say it's freaking snowing in October. Now this may not be a big deal in big sky country, but here in NE Ohio it's a kick in the teeth.

Back