Rained out!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well, I had fully intended to at least do the chops on the grill but the weather gods were against me.
So, pan sear, leeks, onions, mushrooms fresh tarragon and cream. Then into the oven while I made the Leek, potato cake with far more Irish butter than may have been prudent but, it certainly was good!
16854580-288B-437E-8925-044323436473.jpeg

Well, I had fully intended to at least do the chops on the grill but the weather gods were against me.
So, pan sear, leeks, onions, mushrooms fresh tarragon and cream. Then into the oven while I made the Leek, potato cake with far more Irish butter than may have been prudent but, it certainly was good!
View attachment 25659
If it weren't for the potato cake I would have thought you were on Atkins with all that cream and butter. Looks delicious.

I figure I post ideas but, pictures speak more clearly, lists of ingredients are all well and good but shots of results are a touch more inspiring.
This was dead easy, season (S&P) sear the chops, turn, add the onions, mushrooms and, leeks, sweat them off de glaze with Marsala. Reduce by half(or more) then, add cream bring to a full rolling boil, add two sprigs of fresh Tarragon then, slide into a preheated 375 oven. Roughly 20 minutes while you do the potato cake.
The potato cake...
8” skillet, butter, sweat leeks, add the mashed potatoes, allow the butter to bubble in a luxurious fashion until the first side has started to develop some brown deliciousness (I rushed it) then be BRAVE and flip it. Oh, butter splatter is simply going to happen, be careful, you will have some splatter.
Let it go until the pork sauce has reduced to big bubbles and chops are beautifully brown.
I have become a bigger fan of using reduction for sauces over other thickening methods (starches) with this kind of sauce. Beurre Mainie, roux, or slurries are all well and good but, reductions concentrate flavors. Be careful with salt though, think ahead and make smaller adjustments or additions.

Looks great! And you had me with the tarragon and “more Irish butter than may have been prudent”.
I used two sprigs of tarragon fresh off the plant out my back door, at first I was a little concerned about it maybe tbeing too much. Happy to say, that was just right. I restrained myself with the potato cake and that was hard! The frizzled leeks were so good in there, it was hard to not suck the whole pan down! I’ll be repeating that little project time and again!

Wife just asked for me to make the potato cake again tonight but we are having lobster ravioli, maybe I will do one for her Sunday with the leftover meatloaf I’m doing tomorrow.
Thanks guys.
Oh, I just shuffled some things in the deep freezer, found more Irish butter!

Back