Rack of lamb

Steve Mac

Did a rack of lamb at the weekend. Struggled to maintain a low temp. Used standard method for lighting - one chimney full - Lowest I could get the temp was about 250 but was aiming for 220. Tried closing vents - left two closed and one partial open but temp just wouldn't drop. While smoker was heating a tradesman arrived to discuss some work I had for him so I let it get too hot I think - hard to reduce temp rather than monitor then stop it rising. Anyway I'll work on temp control.

Put 3 chunks of oak on the coals - gave quite an earthy flavour to the lamp. Definitely not to everyone's taste - even for mine. I enjoyed the rack and so did the wife but probably would use a lighter flavour wood next time - maybe birch or apple.

I cooked to 155 as my wife just refuses to do rare or medium so went to the top end of medium well. Still wasn't overdone and despite my temp control issues the rack was lovely and moist with a small smoke ring. Happy enough with the result. Still living and learning.

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_200500.jpg
    IMG_20210522_200500.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210522_190233.jpg
    IMG_20210522_190233.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 12
I would try trimming a bit more fat, it can be kind of “funky” to some tastes which might have been part of the issue with the oak, the last time I did one, I went hot/fast old style indirect using a small piece of pecan. It was really nice.

Steve,
That looks great! I resently did my first rack of lamb and it was one of my favorite cooks that I have done. I used some pecan wood and that mild smoke with the strong taste of the meat was enough.

Looks great Steve. I just picked up a rack at Costco today. We were supposed to have it for Mother's Day but Costco had been selling all of it before I could get there.

Back