Quick question

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Hey everyone! We are having my son's birthday party this Saturday. I normally grill burgers and dogs and everyone goes nuts for it. This year I am going to kick it up a notch and smoke a couple of shoulders and make pulled pork. I have the little 14.5" WSM and the last shoulder I made took about 10 hours. Since I am going to be making 2 will it take more time? Just trying to figure it out so I don't fail. Thanks in advance for your help!

Chuck

It really depends on the cuts of meat, size, weight, etc. But generally you should be able to use the 1.5 to 2 hours per pound rule for each cut and it typically works out. If you overload your smoker, then yes, you will affect the length of the cook, and you will burn fuel like crazy trying to get it all done.

I did two 9 pounders a couple weeks back for a 1st Communion party and they took just over 12 hours, using an 18" WSM. Start early, and if you get done early you can foil them, wrap them in towels and dump them in a cooler. I ran myn overnight for 6+ hours unattended with no problem, and then had them foiled in a cooler for almost 4 hours and they were perfect when we got them out for shredding.

Just to pile on: two roasts of about the same size won't increase time much if at all. Look forward to seeing the results!

If you are worried about time, why not smoke it the day before and then you will just have to reheat? Much better than hungry people waiting for sure.

Just to add to everyone one else, always start earlier than you think. It's no fun having people over and stressing about getting the meat done or having guests wait. I know from experience.

My two cents as well...... By all means start early. My neighbors love it when I fire up the WSM 18.5. It fills the neighborhood with wonderful smells. They also know that an invitation for a pot luck is forthcoming (I always provide pulled pork and/or ribs). BTW, a fully cooked smoked butt that is foiled, wrapped in towels and put in a cooler will stay hot for two hour or more. IMHO, the longer it sits in the cooler, the better it tastes.

My two cents as well...... By all means start early. My neighbors love it when I fire up the WSM 18.5. It fills the neighborhood with wonderful smells. They also know that an invitation for a pot luck is forthcoming (I always provide pulled pork and/or ribs). BTW, a fully cooked smoked butt that is foiled, wrapped in towels and put in a cooler will stay hot for two hour or more. IMHO, the longer it sits in the cooler, the better it tastes.

Also, smoking the day or two before and reheating works too. I've done this several times. The key to to re-heat SLOWLY so you don't dry out the meat. I lay the meat out in a large (18" x 10") baking dish, sprinkle with a little apple juice and seal the dish with foil. Then set it in the oven at 200 degrees for a couple hours (or until it's the desired eating temperature).

Thank you everyone for all of your input. I think I am going to start it around midnight to play it safe. I would rather it be done and ready to go than not. Even though I am going to be having burgers and dogs too, I think the pork will be a big hit. Hopefully! Thanks again everyone!

The pork is already done. It only took 10.5 hours to hit 195 degrees. The bone felt very loose so I took them off the smoker. I wrapped the baking sheet I have them on in foil and two towels. I put them in the oven since our coolers are going to be utilized for drinks. The party doesn't start for another 4 hours and we will be eating in about 6 hours. Should I wait to pull the pork until just before we eat or pull it sooner? Thanks again guys!

Pull it right before you serve it. Make sure you use the pan juice.

Are you using a finishing or side sauce? You can do a simple Carolina Red or No. 5 sauce in a few minutes with simple ingredients.

Thank you James! I am going to use a side sauce. I have some extra rub and am going to mix in with the pork after pulling and also spray it with some apple juice. I have some Open Pit honey and might pick up some SBR when I grab the ice for the coolers. Thanks again! Oh ya, here's a pic of the finished shoulders

One is bone in that I bought a few weeks back. My wife picked up the last one the grocery store had, but didn't realize it was boneless. Oh well.

Last edited:
Try to monitor the cookers temp as well as the meats temp keep the cooker at 225-250 Deg F and when the meat hits 190 Deg F pull it out and let it rest for an hour wrapped in tin foil. After that. Use a couple of large forks to shread it apart. Eat well!

Back