Questions on over the top chili. Advice?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
I have recently discovered over the top chili and thought to myself, why am I just now seeing this? I have a few questions about the whole process:
1. Has anyone done this with venison? I hunt a lot and venison is the only ground meat that we eat. Does the venison smoke ok or should I use ground beef?
2. Does all the fat drippings make the chili separate? I really don't want to have a bunch of separated fat in my chili when I reheat it the next day. Would it be strange to put the meat in a foil boat so that it doesn't drip into the chili?
3. What type of pot should I use? Can I just buy a cheap pot and use that specifically for my smoker or should i get a cast iron pot/pan or dutch oven? Do the pans turn black from being in the smoker?

Any other advice for this would be greatly appreciated!

I thought that was called basement chili or basement BBQ beans. Just put the uncovered pan of bean fixings under the meat being Grilled.

Our Son does venison chili alot. For grind he followed a BBQ pit boys vid where they formed the meat into burgers, smoked , then break apart.
He uses mostly apple and cherry.

@Seth Boardman , I've done over the top chili before and if you are concerned about the grease drippings being too much, it is easy to spoon off before adding the smoked ground beef to the mixture. Or use leaner ground beef. 80/20 makes really good chili.
I use an 8qt. CI dutch oven.
Hope this answers your second and third questions.

Back