Questions about my Summit 650 resto

Its just not in my nature to advertise something without even trying to clean it up for sale. That black one could look dazzling with 30min of cleaning. Anyway its in a lot better shape than mine was for sure. The IR burner looks very fresh.
I did a heat run tonight on mine....I must admit I hate the way the ignition system works. I fired up the 6 cook box burners and she ran to 650 degrees like a scalded mule! This Summit is a real monster!! I knew I shouldnt have mentioned how happy I was about fixing my IR burner because after blazing the 6 burners to 650 degrees, I tried the IR....I couldnt get it to stay lit :( I am not sure if all of that heat inside the cook box scares the hell out of the thermocouple or what but it would ignite but just would not stay lit....back to square one.
Yeah, that ad is so typical of some sellers. I've seen nasty kettle grills with used up charcoal still in them proudly listed for sale. I think they just want it GONE! At that price, as much as I don't like the 3rd generation Summits, I have to admit that one looks like a deal if you want a really big monster grill. I think the black is cool anyway.

I am sorry you are still having problems with the infrared. I would be curious what happens if you try it with the main burners off and then with them on medium/low. It does seem like those things are kind of temperamental.

Someone trying to sell theirs and obviously not getting action. I much prefer the black, and this one at least has an intact cabinet even if door magnets are gone or not working:

View attachment 53997
Maybe a broken right leg or caster?

View attachment 53998

For what they are asking I would take a chance on it. You can still buy a replacement cookbox for that version, if not still get one warrantied by Weber. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Summit on the patio, I just would never buy one new.

Ha! ya man.....those Summits are huge....I cant wait to get mine out of my shop! Im gunna try to remove the solenoid again in the thermocouple to see if thats what is failing. The IR worked perfectly yesterday. I have a buyer coming to see it tomorrow evening and I hate selling something that isnt 100%.....I might just have to pony up and buy a new thermocouple from Weber. I will first try to just light the IR tomorrow when the grill is cool to see if that will work. Maybe it says right in the manual that if your gunna lite the IR do it before you blaze the rest of the grill.

Back