Question on timbers

Hi guys earlier today I bought some smoking wood chips that's got some mixed timbers in it, I had a chance to buy some mesquite chunks but from what I can gather they are not the best for smoking ? Apparently it's got a too stronger taste ? We live near some apple orchards, would be worthwhile going to one and getting some apple branches and what would I need to do to them to make them burnable do they need drying ? And roughly how long would I need to dry the for ?

I have a bag of mesquite chunks around here that I've had more than ten years. I tried them once or twice, and I just can't stand them. :)

With mesquite, you use less wood. It goes better with beef than pork. The apple wood, would have to dry, but don't make them into chips keep them as chunks.

I get pecan from a buddy and peach from my yard. I throw them under a cedar tree for a season then chop them up for cooking.

I use mesquite like a strong spice. One chunk for an entire brisket cook. Where I'm from it's the traditional taste.

Back