Question on recipe for 22 inch kettle

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
The grilling guide accompanying my new Weber kettle indicates that for a 1 inch steak, approximate total grilling time is 6 to 8 minutes. I take it to mean total time overall and not 6 to 8 minutes per side? I'm a bit naive here.

And to achieve "high heat", 450 - 550F, is the cover left on the kettle? Lots of extra charcoal??

Last edited:
Total time. 3 to 4 minutes per side. For just a steak, I use 3/4 chimney. spread only till it’s the size of the steak.
To get a good sear, salt the meat a couple of hours ahead of time (dry brine). Leave it in the fridge uncovered. The dryer the surface, the better the sear you can get.

Dry meat, light rub of oil, pepper….. onto the grill.

my recipe for 2 inch KC strip is let it set on counter for about 20 min, cast iron skillet on kettle 2 min per side 500+ lump charcoal fire sear and test the center of the steak for cushion (another 2-3 per side) in butter-thyme ....lid closed ...med rare....

Total time. 3 to 4 minutes per side. For just a steak, I use 3/4 chimney. spread only till it’s the size of the steak.
To get a good sear, salt the meat a couple of hours ahead of time (dry brine). Leave it in the fridge uncovered. The dryer the surface, the better the sear you can get.

Dry meat, light rub of oil, pepper….. onto the grill.
All replies appreciated. But why leave the meat in the fridge instead of on the countertop for a couple of hours??? I mean, it's salted and would dry further in a warmer environment.

1 - Food safety - danger zone is 40 to 140F (bacteria growth). 4 hours is the max time to leave things in the danger zone.
2 - Many things I dry brine are salted the night before and are much larger.
3 - The way a fridge works, there is air drying going on. I prefer to use this method As it works best for me.

But to your point, for a couple of hours on the counter would be ok. Remember to put steak on a rack so the bottom can dry too.

Today's the day. The meat is a prime rib eye from Wallys measuring 1 1/4 inch thick and marbled like crazy. A couple more questions.

1. For the 22 inch kettle, are fifty briquettes really recommended for direct heat for only one single steak??????

2. Cook time max for a one inch steak is 8 minutes according to the owners manual. What about the cook time for my steak that measures 11/4 inch thick, maybe 9 minutes???? I know it can be trial and error with a deficit of experience and I can clearly see where the Thermapen comes into play.

3. Am I overthinking this, I mean I've never spent $17 on a store bought steak before, I'm cheap!!!!!

Today's the day. The meat is a prime rib eye from Wallys measuring 1 1/4 inch thick and marbled like crazy. A couple more questions.

1. For the 22 inch kettle, are fifty briquettes really recommended for direct heat for only one single steak??????

2. Cook time max for a one inch steak is 8 minutes according to the owners manual. What about the cook time for my steak that measures 11/4 inch thick, maybe 9 minutes???? I know it can be trial and error with a deficit of experience and I can clearly see where the Thermapen comes into play.

3. Am I overthinking this, I mean I've never spent $17 on a store bought steak before, I'm cheap!!!!!
get the weber charcoal baskets to help concentrate the heat on the steak, I use em exclusively in my kettle as you can create heat zones and indirect just by moving them to wherever you want ....50 sounds like alot to me but I use lump mostly

Last edited:
get the weber charcoal baskets to help concentrate the heat on the steak, I use em exclusively in my kettle as you can create heat zones and indirect just by moving to where ever to want ....50 sounds like alot to me but I use lump mostly
It's looking a lot that for just one steak, filling the both baskets adjacent to one another would be the way to go. Therefore I'll pour into the baskets just about enough briquettes to fill and then light them in the chimney. (EDIT) With the baskets it looks as if I'll be using aroung thiry instead of fifty briquettes and the baskets are only about 2/3rds full, enough for one steak.

Last edited:
Lit briquettes dumped into the baskets with the unit now reaching a temperature of 425F after 3 minutes.

D@mn it's up to 450F after 5 minutes according to Weber's thermometer included with the unit.

475F after 8 minutes with sear a risin' above the horizin'.

Stabilized after 12 minutes at 475-480F according to Weber's thermometer. Here goeth to the searth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a few minutes of searing there was a flame and the underside was charred. Flipped it over to the other side and when done......still BEAUTIFUL Charred on one side and "cooked' on the other with a center of reddish pink, rare to medium rare that only a steakhouse could have achieved with that subtle crunch when you bite thru the char. This unit is the bomb.

And during the "flame" the temperature climbed almost to 550F. Hmmmm, the fire musta' been the result of fat drippage. The flame was immediately quelled by closing both vents.

Now you know!
When you have not done a full side of salmon for a while and shell out $70.00 for the beast the “grill memory” will kick in so, now you will be prepared for the next time.
$20.00 for a good steak isn’t that bad but, yeah, I don’t want to screw one up either!

Back