Question about Sausage

Brenda T

TVWBB All-Star
I have a question for the sausage makers.
I have a recipe for Brisket/Cheddar sausage that sounds wonderful. I don't have the equipment - or really even the desire - to make sausage links.

Is there any reason I can't just follow the recipe up to the stuffing stage, then make patties instead?
I have made and smoked breakfast sausage patties from ground beef before and it turned out fine.
That was really simple - I just mixed some spices with the ground beef and made into patties.

This recipe is specific to link sausage, though, so I wondered if it would make any difference.
Would it be too greasy without the casings to hold it all together?

I have a recipe for Brisket/Cheddar sausage that sounds wonderful. I don't have the equipment - or really even the desire - to make sausage links.

Is there any reason I can't just follow the recipe up to the stuffing stage, then make patties instead?
I have made and smoked breakfast sausage patties from ground beef before and it turned out fine.
That was really simple - I just mixed some spices with the ground beef and made into patties.

This recipe is specific to link sausage, though, so I wondered if it would make any difference.
Brenda, nope, absolutely no reason you can't skip the links and just make patties or store in bulk packaging. I do this frequently with breakfast, italian, spanish chorizo, and other sausage mixes. One thing you should bear in mind is that you won't have a casing to hold the juices in when cooking. This could result in a drier sausage when cooked low/slow. Most of my applications with bulk sausage tend to be cooked at higher heat. Now, having said that, "fatties" (bacon/cheese, wrapped in sausage, sometimes wrapped in more bacon) turn out ok, so you may just have to experiment with the cooking method that results in your preference.

Come on back and show us some of your sausage efforts when you have a chance! :)

R

Brenda, this sounds right up our alley. DH is going to cook a brisket in a day or two, he loves cheese, I have a hard time chewing sausage casings. Please keep us posted.

No reason at all. Patties work with pretty much any sausage as long as it has enough body to hold together by itself. I like burger buns better than hot dog buns anyway :)

Brenda, nope, absolutely no reason you can't skip the links and just make patties or store in bulk packaging. I do this frequently with breakfast, italian, spanish chorizo, and other sausage mixes. One thing you should bear in mind is that you won't have a casing to hold the juices in when cooking. This could result in a drier sausage when cooked low/slow. Most of my applications with bulk sausage tend to be cooked at higher heat. Now, having said that, "fatties" (bacon/cheese, wrapped in sausage, sometimes wrapped in more bacon) turn out ok, so you may just have to experiment with the cooking method that results in your preference.

Come on back and show us some of your sausage efforts when you have a chance! :)

R
Thanks Rich, that is what I hoped to hear. :) I like to cook breakfast on my Blue Rhino griddle when I have a gathering, but have
been limited in meat choices for the folks that don't eat pork. That would be high heat and this sounds like something we would
all enjoy.
Thank you for the encouragement. I will post results when I get a chance to try it.

Brenda, this sounds right up our alley. DH is going to cook a brisket in a day or two, he loves cheese, I have a hard time chewing sausage casings. Please keep us posted.
You can't go wrong with brisket and cheese, right? :love: It will be a while before I can experiment with this, so - once I figure out how,
I'll add a link to the recipe. You may get to it before I do.
If I have any luck with it, then I'll post a proper recipe. ;)

No reason at all. Patties work with pretty much any sausage as long as it has enough body to hold together by itself. I like burger buns better than hot dog buns anyway :)
LOL I actually like hamburger buns better too. This recipe has a video and it looks like the meat is pretty cohesive.
Thanks for the confirmation!

This is the link to the recipe on the All Things Barbeque website. (I think it worked anyway.)

The only thing I would add/deviate from is "high-temp" cheese, this cheese is made especially for these types of applications. Based upon your location, here's a link to a web-site that I have ordered from many times.

Okay, thanks for that - I would have just used regular cheese. :( I have actually ordered a few items from Waltons before.
I'll just get some hi-temp cheese from them. Thanks for the recommendation!

This is the link to the recipe on the All Things Barbeque website. (I think it worked anyway.)
Those sausages look sooooo good;-)

Of course I will not be running out to purchase over $800 in equipment that he used to make them. But it was so cool to watch. Never knew how they did that. I was thinking if / when brisket prices come down maybe I will take a piece off one I will smoke and try grinding it up with some spices and making patties for the fun of it. I usually use all the fat I trim to make tallow, but eating some in sausage could be fun.

I do it all the time Brenda. Brisket burgers. What is not to like about that?
I'm having beef/sausage combo burgers tonight.
I would suggest keeping them in the fridge until ready to cook. That way they don't fall apart. Or you can mold the patties in round cookie-cutters and leave them in to keep their shape before cooking.

Thanks Rich, that is what I hoped to hear. :) I like to cook breakfast on my Blue Rhino griddle when I have a gathering, but have
been limited in meat choices for the folks that don't eat pork. That would be high heat and this sounds like something we would
all enjoy.
Thank you for the encouragement. I will post results when I get a chance to try it.
There are people who don’t eat pork?😩

There are people who don’t eat pork?😩
We do on very rare occasions as our son and his girlfriend educated us on how smart pigs are and how inhumanely they are produced, especially by Smithfield Foods, owned by Chinese company WH Group. We also try to get pasture raised eggs and chicken, and grass fed beef. It has been a journey. This of course happened just before I got into BBQ and grilling so it has been quite frustrating as you can imagine.

Back