Question about Sausage

We do on very rare occasions as our son and his girlfriend educated us on how smart pigs are and how inhumanely they are produced, especially by Smithfield Foods, owned by Chinese company WH Group. We also try to get pasture raised eggs and chicken, and grass fed beef. It has been a journey. This of course happened just before I got into BBQ and grilling so it has been quite frustrating as you can imagine.
My sons were both vegetarians for awhile.
I always told them the animals would never be born unless there was someone wanting to buy and eat them.
I believe Berkshire and Duroc pigs are pasture raised.

I do it all the time Brenda. Brisket burgers. What is not to like about that?
I'm having beef/sausage combo burgers tonight.
I would suggest keeping them in the fridge until ready to cook. That way they don't fall apart. Or you can mold the patties in round cookie-cutters and leave them in to keep their shape before cooking.
I like the cookie cutter idea!(y)

We do on very rare occasions as our son and his girlfriend educated us on how smart pigs are and how inhumanely they are produced, especially by Smithfield Foods, owned by Chinese company WH Group. We also try to get pasture raised eggs and chicken, and grass fed beef. It has been a journey. This of course happened just before I got into BBQ and grilling so it has been quite frustrating as you can imagine.

I hear you.
I sometimes say I have the heart of a vegetarian, but unfortunately the appetite of a carnivore.
That's a cop-out, I guess. 🤷‍♀️

I respect your efforts to be aware. And I didn't know that about Smithfield.

I'm wanting to make some sausage soon. I started out using the kitchen aid grinder. It has a stuffing horn that comes with it. It's really a pain to use but it will work for small batches if you want to dip you toes into stuffing the sausage in casings When I first started thinking about making sausages I was a little shy around the idea of casings and what not. It's really not that hard at all. My wife got me an 5 lb LEM stuffer and it works fantastically. It's maybe a hundred bucks.

FYI....I own an LEM 5lb. stuffer from about 5 years ago, cost was $150. The new model is around $180. I would also recommend a meat grinder that usually runs between $100-150.

I'm wanting to make some sausage soon. I started out using the kitchen aid grinder. It has a stuffing horn that comes with it. It's really a pain to use but it will work for small batches if you want to dip you toes into stuffing the sausage in casings When I first started thinking about making sausages I was a little shy around the idea of casings and what not. It's really not that hard at all. My wife got me an 5 lb LEM stuffer and it works fantastically. It's maybe a hundred bucks.
Thanks Dustin. I have the grinder that came with my KA too, so would probably use that.
For some reason, I just have no interest in making "real" sausages. There are so many other things I've seen here
that I am eager to try and can't seem to find time for - so, no need to add more. 😁

Back