Question about high heat brisket cook

Brent in Texas

I've used the high heat method several times to smoke a brisket but I've only done this with the brisket you pick up at Costco. Now I'm leaving in a rural area and don't access to briskets like that so I ordered one from a butcher shop. It's a pricey one so I'm wondering if it would still be ok to try the high heat method or should I do the low and slow method? I'm not sure if it matters which one but wanted to see what everyone else has experienced. I would like to go the high heat route mainly because I've had good success and haven't tried the low and slow method but I also don't want to screw up a nice brisket.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I only do high heat anymore and have had excellent results with briskets from Costco both prime and choice and Walmart's brisket. The reason I do HH is because my WSM swings all over the place because of the winds here in the mountains of Arizona and I got tired of chasing temps for hours on end. The WSM is much more stable with the higher temps.
To be honest I really can't tell any real difference between HH and L&S except maybe a little more smoke flavor doing L&S.

I only do high heat anymore and have had excellent results with briskets from Costco both prime and choice and Walmart's brisket. The reason I do HH is because my WSM swings all over the place because of the winds here in the mountains of Arizona and I got tired of chasing temps for hours on end. The WSM is much more stable with the higher temps.
To be honest I really can't tell any real difference between HH and L&S except maybe a little more smoke flavor doing L&S.
Thanks! I will give HH a try with this new brisket and see how it does. I appreciate your advice

walk me through a high heat cook if you don’t mind? What temp, how long does it take?

walk me through a high heat cook if you don’t mind? What temp, how long does it take?

There was a HH thread about 15+ years ago on here, I though started by K Kruger. Searched briefly but couldn’t find it, but did find this. Should get you there

There is a step by step description with pics in the cooking topics. (Link below) I've used it many time with success.

I prop the door open to get the heat up, and I find a well placed chimney starter is good to rest the door on.

High Heat Brisket

You did not describe the pricier brisket as compared to Costco, but a meat with better marbling will hold up to high heat better.

I disagree with the TVWBB recipe insofar as it says to take the brisket to a 170˚ internal before foiling. Utterly unnecessary and, imo, not a very good idea. I simply foil somewhere around 2:20 to 2:40 into the cook, leaving room in the foil for exuded juices, and cook to tender. 4 hours to maybe 4:15, irrespective of size, and it's done. Forgive the lousy pics, here's an old post of one of my HH cooks: Here you go.

Back