Another High Heat Brisket

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Since it is now pouring rain here there is no sense a) getting the brush cutter going to trim around the house and tortoise pens, b) cleaning out the inside of my truck), c) filling the holes the black lab has recently dug in the yard, d) rehanging a different gate at the road gate. I could be cleaning/organizing the spice shelves but... I did get two chickens into marinate: one, in a buttermilk-based and the other in a modded mojo. Those I'll cook tomorrow. Tonight is an all-app night I think.

Instead, now, I'll post last night's dinner cook.

An orginally 12.13-lb packer that was fatted differently than usual. So I did what I nearly never do--I trimmed.

The packer, as originally out of the cryo:

The hunk of fat at left, on the side and inside of the point, had to go so I got rid of it.

A little minor additional trimming, nothing from the fatcap side, and here:

I made a paste--

of a hefty quantity of pickled jalapeños (about a heaping half-cup, plus a couple of the pickled carrot slices from the same jar), a good dose of pomegranate molasses (about 1/3 c), 5 whole garlic cloves, a wedge of a Vidalia (would be about 3 T chopped), puréeing till very smooth. After salting both sides of the brisket, i smeared the paste on the lean side:

I mixed a rub of

(from the top, clockwise, the outermost ingredients) Aleppo (about 2 T), granulated garlic, ground clove, marjoram, rubbed sage, Mediterranean thyme, black peppercorns, onion, (inside) green peppercorns, whole allspice, white peppercorns, and (scattered black specks) the seeds of a dozen Iraqi cardamom pods (thanks Lance!). I ground it all an applied over the paste, fairly heavily.

I fired using the MM with 24 lit. (Out of lump. I used K.) I used hickory for wood.

The lit was well-lit when added and I assembled and loaded in the meat. It was about 30 min in when I broke 250 (all temps lid) and I cracked the door open (door flipped, knob on bottom), propping it with a grill brush about 1/2-inch open. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the cooker but was 375 at one point pre-foiling (about 2 hours in), mad a door adjustment, and 350 at the 2.5-hour mark when I foiled. (I never temp but stuck one it at foiling in case anyone asked or was interested: 156.)

On a sheet of foil:

Topped with another sheet of foil, sealed, crimped edges pulled up so that exuded juices won't leak:

The brisket cooked, foiled, between 335 and 350. I checked at the 3.5-mark just to get a sense of the feel. Checked just about 20 min later and it felt great to me.

Done, foil opened:

I pulled most of the juices out of the foil (about 2 c) and separated the fat out while I made the side. I wanted a side with flavor enough to go with the paste-rub combo so I made whole wheat linguine in a simple sauce of plenty of garlic sweated with onion, minced jals, fresh ripe tomato tossed in at the last moment, a just a little grated Parm-Reg for umami.

For give the lack of plating attention, we were on our third bottle of Chard...:

Salad of frisée, oak leaf, mizuna, Vidalia, ripe tomato, avocado, tossed with a simple vinaigrette (white balsamic, a tiny splash of red balsamic, Dijon, Morea evoo, 1/2 clove of garlic, pepper, salt), on butter lettuce:

And the brisket-pasta plate (pre-minced chive garnish):

The brisket was very moist and the rub combo worked out well. Very clear cardamom flavors (which I was shooting for), lots of background base and good spice/heat, as you'd imagine with the jals, Aleppo and the three peppercorns. I only sprinkled the sides of the slices with a little salt before plating.

The point and a bit of the flat will become chili in a day or two, likely with mango as the rub flavors would be very good with it. The rest of the flat I've frozen.

Since it is now pouring rain here there is no sense...
*****, *****, *****...and there's nothing else to do but fix up some delicious food...
icon_razz.gif

Looks delicious Kevin!. Now you wrote:
Salad of frisée, oak leaf
, is that "oak leaf" oak leaf as in the tree or a lettuce with a similar shape. I've never heard of that before.

Oh, and please truck some of that rain to central Texas.

Paul

Thanks.

Yup, a lettuce.

We got wailed on today. Lots of rain. Didn't need that much.

Looks great, you've convinced as of recent to try a high heat brisket. I just need to get one.

Kevin, looks like another successful high heat cook.Did it taste as good as it looks? I must have misplaced my invite
icon_wink.gif

Kevin, looks awesome, I bet it tasted great. I tell you I am 100% convinced on high heat. I have have only done 3 high heat briskets, one of which was for a comp. we got a 5th place call for it. The thing I like about the high heat version is that the meat stays so moist and is just as tender as low and slow. Again your brisket looks awesome.

Thanks all.

Bill-- In many cases, imo, high heat can result in brisket that can be more moist and tender than briskets that are low/slowed. This is not necessarily the case with higher quality briskets, especially Primes and Wagyus, but I think it is the case with standard Choice and definitely with Selects.

I believe craig has made this point before as well. It is not so much--only--that overall tenderness and moistness is better from cook to cook--i.e., consistency, although I do think that is the case--it is that tenderness and moistness within the individual brisket is better--i.e., from tip of the point to the (often thin) end of the flat the consistency of tenderness and moisture is better.

Kevin,
I completely understand what you are saying, Although I have never cooked a wagyu or a prime brisket. Before I found out about the high heat methaod, my brisket was always dry and over cooked, probably because I have always cooked with the either the choice or selects, after learning about high heat and actually tring it I was hooked and finally could get a little bit of consistency on the lesser quality briskets(in regards to moistness).

What kind of brisket did you use for this particular cook? I would love to get my hands on a prime or even Wagyu, I am afraid that I would ruin them, because I am so used to cooking with the lesser quality ones. On the higher quality briskets do you do anything different?

Hi, after studying the various posts on HH brisket, I'm still confused about position of fat cap: down before foiling, up after foiling? Thank you.

Originally posted by Jamie B:
Hi, after studying the various posts on HH brisket, I'm still confused about position of fat cap: down before foiling, up after foiling? Thank you.

On the only HH brisket cook I've done (which turned out GREAT), I did just that: fat side down to start, flipped it over at the foil.

Bill-- It was a no-roll brisket, the kind I get when I am home. ('No-roll' means ungraded--either the house didn't want to pay for grading or the meat came from a graded carcass but the grade didn't follow the cuts after packaging). Judging by look and feel it would likely come in as a lower Choice grade.

I low/slow high quality briskets.

Jamie-- Some cooks do cook fatcap down to start, flipping to up when foiled; some cook fatcap down throughout, flipping to up for resting; others cook down throughout and leave it down for resting. I'm in that camp. It could be advantageous for flats but for packers I don't see the need to flip. That, and with all the juices they throw off i find it easier to simply drain into a fat separator, leaving the brisket as is on the foil, and tent for resting.

I rested this one about 25 min, all that is required, imo.

Kevin, thank you for the info, since I have been coming to this forum(Aug '08) I have learned so much from such nice people as yourself. It is good to know that there are still people out there willing to share their secrets and tips to help others obtain great BBQ. I still have a lot to learn. Again Thank You.

Looks awesome as usual Kevin....I did my first HH whole brisket this weekend using one of the paste-rub recipes you have posted. Excellent results. I did however flip after foiling and that ended up "soaking" off some of the bark due to all of the juices collected...won't do that again....got your chili going now with most of the point and the last of the fresh chilies from the garden...mmmm it does not get much better!

Got chili planned for Thursday I think--with dried mango and probably aji amarillos. Two chickens in the rotis now, one marinated in sort of mojo (calamondin juice, a little evoo, garlic, onion, pepper, bay leaf) and a buttermilk-based (with garlic, onion, lots of piri-piris, lemon zest powder). Cooking at ~425 as I type.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
An orginally 12.13-lb packer that was fatted differently than usual. So I did what I nearly never do--I trimmed.
Not differently in my book Dude! You got yerself a Wal-Mart packer there K. Yep, every packer I get at Wally world has that stupid fat ridge/thing hanging off the side of em. Funny stuff.
icon_biggrin.gif

And to think I've never bought meat--any food, actually--at Walmart!

The packer came from the butcher down the road. I always buy from him. Never got one quite like that before.

Back