question about a fairly new base model performer

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I might pick up this one used. Are these reasonably stable? any things to look out for?

1661193884940.png

I’ve read a bunch of people who swear by them for backing up a burger press while making smash burgers. They’re apparently very stable under a straight vertical load. Can’t speak to how much you can put on the table before it capsizes.

I might pick up this one used. Are these reasonably stable? any things to look out for?

View attachment 57882
I’m looking also.

I see a lot of variation in the grill grates, not sure why.

I would definitely want the grate with the side wings that fold so you can add more charcoal, and the crescent steel baskets are a must.

The lift out center circle would be nice to have, and I have seen them, just kicking tires right now.

Fwiw

I had one of these. I liked the height and folding table. The table is quite stable but really sucks as a handle to move it around as I was frequently doing. I sold it and went to a Performer Premium because I had to move the grill when I wanted to use it. 20210706_122732.jpg

It was $10. I picked it up a little while ago. It is like new.

It has a plated steel grate with flip up sides. Was hoping it would have the GBS removeable center section, but no.

Two like new char baskets, a chimney, a cleaning brush and a cover.

The sweeps are bent and need to be adjusted, and the ash catcher is not located correctly.

20220822_122842.jpg

It has a plated steel grate with flip up sides. Was hoping it would have the GBS removeable center section, but no.

The sweeps are bent and need to be adjusted, and the ash catcher is not located correctly.

View attachment 57889
I’ll give you $15 for it!

Just kidding- you sir are a shrewd and discerning shopper.

Good luck with the new(ish) grill.

This almost attends to the upgrades I considered to the 2004 one touch platinum.

- raise the kettle up 5 inches from 29 to 34
- add a lid temp gauge
- add casters to the front legs
- fix or replace the cracked table.

SS grates are still on wish list, but these are OK.

edit: AT date code: so 2013 model year.

A couple more pics.

20220822_152914.jpg20220822_152926.jpg20220822_153937.jpg20220822_153921.jpg

Last edited:
The table is quite stable but really sucks as a handle to move it around as I was frequently doing.
Yeah I removed the lid and grates and had to carry this through my side yard. It rolls OK on concrete but it would suck moving it over uneven terrain or grass.

I really like this model and would have grabbed one if I didn't luck into 2 free Performers Deluxe. As you noted, it's the right height and the folding table gives it the same garage footprint as a standard kettle. I only use the gas assist as a novelty because it's there. I am happy to use a torch or starter and chimney.

Dan, you stole it! Great find! I love mine, 2 years now. Nice small footprint, the table is great never had a problem with it holding anything . It replaced an old 98 SS that I had using a 20 pounder. Situated on a brick platform so I don't move it at all. Love the added height from the cart which is very stable. Don't miss the gas assist and it cooks great. Just not totally fond of the GBS grates as I have had the center portion fall into the coals several times while cleaning, have to be careful. Can see a Killa in the future. Keep you're current grate until you can get the Killa

Nice score, treat yourself to a killa grilla grate! I did for my performer and I love it! I went with the SNS version. That cool grill deserves an upgrade. Especially at $10!!

the ash catcher is not located correctly.
Mine was like that also, when I replaced the sweeps I should of moved it to the left.
My Son has it now. Keep it covered or fold down the shelf.
Mine was uncovered for a few years with the e shelf up and rain, ice, snow got into the crack and started the paint to peel and the metal to rust.

View attachment 57889
I would have grabbed it myself for that price my friend has a small deck and loves that this grill doesnot take up so much room. And cooks very well just like a full size performer.

I purchased one of these new this year as I don't have room don't the deck for the full-sized Performer and I barely ever used the propane assist on my SSP, so I don't miss it. The table is very stable. I don't move it, so I cannot comment on that. It cooks like any 22 inch Weber. The char baskets are quite useful (didn't really use them on my SSP). GBS is awesome, mostly for Vortex since you can just have the opening over the fire.

I switched positions of my grills and the performer makes a great table next to the WSK E6. The table height is perfect and I'll likely use it for vortex cooks as the vortex I have is too tall for the E6.

Unless I find an amazing deal on a WSK S6, this will have to do.

20220902_110321.jpg

Last edited:

Back