Quality time with my old Genesis 2

Those are original redwood slats that have been painted with a barn red opaque stain. We chose opaque because there were a lot of stains on some of the slats.

At some point I removed the swing-up table...long before I understood the importance of keeping it. :(

Thanks for the reply Chris. The redhead I'm working on didn't have the swing up ether but a 200 mile round trip into Phoenix in 118 degree heat solved it, picked up a parts grill that had one.

Chris:
The stain looks good. The wood on mine is rotted and cracked. I could use the durawood on the donor grill, but I am going to replace my wood.

But, I have a question about your hood. I just got around to cleaning mine up last night. I found that there are tiny specs of black in the red. It almost looks like over spray from black paint. It isn't carbon. I used steel wool to clean it and I scrubbed one area exceptionally well to see if the black specs would disappear and they would not. You can't see it unless you get up close. From 5 feet away, it looks completely clean and red. Is this typical how they came from the factory?

Bruce, the redhead I'm restoring has the same spots.

Interesting. I just did up a green lid and didn't notice any of the specs in it. It may not be as noticeable in the green though.

Hi Chris, I'd like to clean and oil the valves as well, what did you use for lubrication? Thanks! Ed

Thanks Larry. I had seen that article before but couldn't remember where. It was done by Chris who is a member on this forum.
I have it bookmarked now.

Thanks for posting that link Larry. Just what I needed.

One question. I have some Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube. Doesn't give the main ingredient. Went to the web site and read all 17 pages of the safety data sheet. only said it was a synthetic semi solid lube that was a trade secret. Would this work just as well as the one listed in the video?

If it's the black stuff it'll work just fine. Avoid products like Sil-Glyde (silicone based) not good eats for your grill. It will migrate all over the place

Chris was that a SW stain do you remember I also as I mentioned like that color and will be using a solid stain on my slats and handle also.

Back