Pulled Tri tip

1616197525012.jpeg
1616197555491.jpeg
This is the one I tried to smoke and pull.
I would much rather grill em.

Last edited:
I have only grill then a couple times, and they are very good,juicey, tender(when sliced properly). Great for a dinner or sandwiches. Hard to beat.

Ed,
I have to agree with the others on this post, tri tip is so good grilled (reverse sear is my favorite) that I can't see the reason to try to pull it, never tried it, but don't think the cut is right for that.

So just so know.

I smoke my Tri tip low and slow on a Weber kettle for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I’ve posted on this before

I was just wondering

Thanks y’all!

You Cali dudes should be cooking it Santa Maria style via red oak wood!
Why do ya hafta be from california to grill tri tip santa maria style ? ?
tritip07122017.JPG

You don't have to be from California, I was being cynical, since Red Oak is found in Cali, I just figured that would be there best option to cook TT.

You don't have to be from California, I was being cynical, since Red Oak is found in Cali, I just figured that would be there best option to cook TT.
i'm sure you were, and that's good. I buy red oak just for tris on my Santa Maria grill... in fact, i think i still have a bit left over from last summer AND i know i have a t.t. in the freezer AND the grill needs to be rolled out of winter storage anyway.....
perhaps an Easter Sunday Californian Santa Maria Tri Tip over Red Oak cook...
Yeah.... thanks for the idea.

I grew up about ten minutes north of Santa Maria. I remember on the weekends being able to pull over in a parking lot and get tri tip, beans salad and bread for five bucks. Now living in Texas where beef is king, it is extremely rare to find one here. And yes, red oak and susie q's is how it's done.

Back