Pulled Pork

Ed M.

TVWBB Guru
Walking through the grocery store the other day, I thought, what can I get to throw on the smoker? Decided to do some pulled pork yesterday, since it had been awhile and there was none left in the freezer.

Asked the butcher for a pork butt, he said they had picnic shoulder roasts on sale. Wasn't quite sure what it was gonna be, but I said sure, since they were only .99 a lb. Got this 10 pounder and seasoned it with a homemade rub. Wrapped it up and left it sit in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, took it out of the wrap and found it had a nice syrup like coating on it, from the brown sugar I guess.

This is what it looked like pre-cook.

0021280x829.jpg~original

Fired up the WSM and put the roast on. Here are a few pics of it getting happy. Used Kingsford blue and a few chunks of apple and hickory.

0061280x850.jpg~original

0161280x997.jpg~original

0091280x850.jpg~original

Time to foil this guy after about 6 hours of smoking. Put it back on the smoker til probe tender. Here it is coming out of the foil awhile later.

0221280x850.jpg~original

Removed the bone and started breaking it down.

0261280x850.jpg~original

Shredded with a couple forks.

0281280x850.jpg~original

Laid out on a cookie sheet to cool down and get packaged for later meals.

My wife and I sampled quite a bit of it while it was cooling. It was very tasty.

0291280x850.jpg~original

It was a good day.:)

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Beautiful! I find a picnic does just as well as a butt, and as you found, usually at a better price. Good cookin'!

Great looking PP Ed. You just reminded me I have some PP frozen in vacuum sealed bags. Guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow?!

Looks like your butcher gave some good advice - Looks GREAT! My compliments to the cook. Also, be sure to tell your man how it came out so he can recommend future cooks!

Great color on that pork!!! The last time I have done PP is by using picnics too because I found them at a great price.

Back