Pulled Pork advice check.

IMHO PP is one of the easiest proteins to smoke. We all know about the stall; it is just part of it. It is done when it is done, plan accordingly! Do not minutiae it!

I have said this before but it bears repeating:
The target for pulled pork is this big. And it is a straight* shot.

Brisket, not so much.

*super big, and visible from the beginning. Straightish.

But when your thermometer is broken, adds a lot of stress...

Yes, the “window” for a pork butt is pretty wide, brisket is a bit narrower but, the First several butts I didn’t have a thermometer aside from an instant read which I used when “time seemed reasonable” brisket I didn’t do until I had gotten the two probe u it and I’ve never regretted it. The “Touch/ Feel” method takes a lot of practice and I’d prefer not to miss with the cost of those.

Looks good from here, I quit touchy feely years ago, also better done early and the temps hold well for most meats in a cooler. My pellet smoker has seen a lot of overnight action since I bought it. No more staying awake all night, now I will wake up at times look at my phone to ck temps read a few minutes and back to sleep lol

Looks good from here, I quit touchy feely years ago, also better done early and the temps hold well for most meats in a cooler. My pellet smoker has seen a lot of overnight action since I bought it. No more staying awake all night, now I will wake up at times look at my phone to ck temps read a few minutes and back to sleep lol
Yep, remote thermometers are a great sleep aid!

I made 2 shoulders this past Saturday, most forgiving curt possible according to me.
I used not thermometers at all.......just checked temps after 8 hours and then 10 hours in.
Came out possibly the best I have made yet...I still have a slew of pics to post.

I do wonder what exactly people are cooking. An uncooked pork shoulder will weigh in the 14 to 16 pound range and is comprised of the picnic roast and pork butt (also known as a Boston Butt). Since pulled pork is not a cut of meat, what exactly are people cooking ?

Pork shoulder.....butts....same thing I think.........these tend to be 7 - 8 pounds......
You can do anything to them honestly and they still will come out great if you season them right and cook them right.

The names are confusing.
The upper pic it’s the cut I normally buy and I usually get it from Costco with the bone out.
The lower pic is called a shoulder which I guess makes sense but…. does it have the shoulder blade bone or does the upper pic have the shoulder blade bone?
I’m obviously no butcher but the lower pic also looks like it has a picnic cut too.
I cooked a picnic cut before and I find them different.
To me they are not as good as an upper cut portion.

Me? I consider the upper pic the shoulder/butt with all those muscles going every which way and the lower pic to me looks like an upper leg cut especially with that picnic in there.

I will only buy the Costco bone out cut when I have to.
The QFC has the “butt” meaning it looks the same as top pic but bone in.
I load up on these whenever I can.
I picked up a flyer from the store yesterday as I was leaving and read it when I got home.
Nice bone in butts for $1.98 per lb.
Price wise that’s as good as it gets where I’m at so I’m loading up today.
YMMV.
Andy.

Back