Pulled chicken thighs

Chris Lynch

TVWBB All-Star
Howdy all. Do you prefer skin on or skin off for pulled chicken. Obvious reasons for on is the flavor, but the skin get pulled off and left with...well the other side of the coin, no skin would give it a bark no? But dry it out? I just read a recipe on boneless skinless, that smoked for 1.5 hours then covered in foil pan until 170* - Thoughts???

oh and this is a bbq emergency, going shopping tomorrow for the party on Sunday :)

thanks.

Chris, like BBQ, there's a lot of ways to get good pulled chicken. Personally, I like going cheap and with dark meat, because it's harder to dry out....so whole leg quarters are a good option. If smoking just thighs though, I'd probably do the same thing. Either an Italian dressing marinade or buttermilk brine, and then hit with a rub; low salt if you use the brine. Smoke at whatever temp you want, but I wouldn't go HH since I'm gonna toss the skin, anyhow. That's just my .02 cents though. I'm interested in reading any other ideas. I'd offer pickles, and sweet red, Bama white and a mustard sauce for the sammiches. Good luck with it.

This chicken was pulled off of some low and slow thighs smoked on one of my wsm's.

It was REALLY good chicken, and this sauce was REALLY good with it on buns.

Last edited:
thanks Dave. Thats exactly what I am looking for...your .02. Appreciate it. I am doing a slaw with pickles and red onion, should be good. Its my regular slaw modified with the pickles julienned sliced in. I have been thinking a lot about the white sauce. There is so much to do but I think I can pull it off...

I do either whole chickens or leg quarters. I cook around 250 with skin on and cook till dark meat is 185. I like to vac seal in one pound packages and put in the freezer and use it later for soups, chicken salad sandwiches, enchiladas, chicken burritos etc. There seems to be a million uses for shredded chicken and a great time to do this is when its on sale.

I use one or the other of my WSM's (or Mini) and smoke chicken halves. I do them at about 325 and discard the skin when pulling. Done properly, smoked pulled chicken ranks with the best of meats for versatility and flavor. I always brine poultry as it helps greatly to retain moisture.

FWIW
Dale53

I've had the best results doing two whole birds on the rotisserie with my Genesis 1000. I don't brine because I'm on a very low sodium diet. I lift the skin and add whatever seasoning I want. I use a cast iron smoke box with pecan wood for a very light smoke as to much smoke will over power the light taste of the chicken. I discard the skin and pull the chicken and freeze in one quart freezer bags and use as needed for tacos, enchiladas, Sammie’s, chicken salad or whatever I dream up.

Thanks guys. Ended up with bone in thighs. Brining, cooking at 350, skin on. Pull the skin, pull the chicken, rub, and pull. Standby for pics later in the weekend.

I do either whole chickens or leg quarters. I cook around 250 with skin on and cook till dark meat is 185. I like to vac seal in one pound packages and put in the freezer and use it later for soups, chicken salad sandwiches, enchiladas, chicken burritos etc. There seems to be a million uses for shredded chicken and a great time to do this is when its on sale.

John,

Do you freeze bone in our pulled? And how long does the chicken lay in the freezer?

Back