puled pork sandwiches

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
So we had a get-together Saturday and I did 2 boneless shoulders from Costco on Friday. Started at 6 am and finished the smoke around 5ish. Wrapped them around 2 to push thru the stall and left them wrapped for the remainder of the time. They turned out great but when we were eating I kept thinking to myself I couldn't taste the smoke on the meat. I know we did a split batch one with vinegar-based sauce and the other with a traditional sauce but it seemed like i could have just as easily done these in a slow cooker and I don't believe anyone would notice a difference. BTW is used applewood and i thought I went kind of hevy cause apple i what i mostly used more gentle not as pungent.

What did everyone else think? Sometimes when you hang around the smoker all day your senses get a little jaded.
And what type of apple, bagged stuff or ? That could just be old/dried out.

What did everyone else think? Sometimes when you hang around the smoker all day your senses get a little jaded.
And what type of apple, bagged stuff or ? That could just be old/dried out.
Apple chunks fist sized and they were still pungent. I love the smell when they are burning. Everyone loved the pork but nobody said I can tell you smoked it or I can taste the apple. I need to find a supplier for smoking wood.

Apple chunks fist sized and they were still pungent. I love the smell when they are burning. Everyone loved the pork but nobody said I can tell you smoked it or I can taste the apple. I need to find a supplier for smoking wood.

I don't use apple on butts, to mild for me. I prefer a more robust flavor like Hickory, or if you want to tone it down Pecan, and add some wild Cherry in for color.
I get my wood from Smokinlicious but I don't think they have apple.

I'll second Timothy. Apple is a very mild smoke flavor for a piece of meat that big, I would give hickory a try for a butt. I usually use apple or cherry on smaller pieces of meat like pork tenderloins or chicken.

Agree with using hickory for the pork butts. I sometimes use apple when I'm cooking poultry like a turkey or something. Good on you though for going to the effort.

What everyone else has said..............hickory for pork butt. Tried and true combination. Apple is GREAT for wings and fine for other smaller pieces of poultry.

Back