Project Farm Rust converter review YouTube

BrandonHudson

TVWBB Fan
Project Farm is a pretty objective tester of all things tool. He just completed a 6 month in depth test of all the major brands of rust converters though various tests.

I was impressed with the results from the Rustoleum, and it matched with my personal experiences too.

I was going to post this earlier ya beat me to it. Though his results with Rustoleum to not match my own experiences. Mine have been awful. He comes pretty close to my experience with Eastwood and POR15 though my experiences with those products were opposite with Eastwood being better

I was going to post this earlier ya beat me to it. Though his results with Rustoleum to not match my own experiences. Mine have been awful. He comes pretty close to my experience with Eastwood and POR15 though my experiences with those products were opposite with Eastwood being better
Grills here are toast in the salty air. I have found that a good prep, 2x coats Rusto primer and then 2-3 coasts of Rusto paint (all Rust STopper) will hold up for about 2 years on a bottom panel and damn near forever on the sides.

At $8 for both cans at Lowe's I'm happy with that result/price ratio.

I recently saw that Permatex primer available at Advance Auto for about $19 per can, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I have watched a bunch of that guy's reviews. He does a very good job and does them very controlled and scientifiically. He also doesn't cuss or think he is a comedian either.

I watched this and a few other videos before I decided to go ahead and use the rust reformer. My decision was based on performance, price, and ease of use. I can't speak to the longevity of what I did, but I'm happy with the results for now. The rustoleum rust reformer also made a pretty good primer for the hi heat ultra top coat.

For my 2 cents, I had a first experience with Rustoleum Rust Reformer similar to what Larry had. I tried Eastwood and found it to work very well - EXCEPT that no matter how hard I tried to clear out the nozzle after use (upside down, etc.) I had two cans clog up only partially used. That stuff is too expensive to use that way. I tried getting Eastwood to send me some replacement nozzles and even placed an order. At least at that time they were having so much trouble that they canceled my order! Of course never received the nozzles either.

So I gave Rustoleum another try. This time I tried extra hard to shake up well. I don’t know if that did it or if I got a better batch, but this time it worked as well as Eastwood without the rapid clogging issue.

I have been using the Rustoleum product for two or three years now and find it works well for my needs on my rehabs. I can't say how well it does long term as all of my grills are spread out over Wisconsin, but I have yet to have any one call to complain. Actually, I did drive by a home where I delivered a grill a good three years ago. He had the grill just about 15 feet off the road and no cover and no under no shelter. It was in the same place when I drove by. It looked dang good for being neglected. I don't know if I used any Rustoleum rust reformer on that one or not. But, I was pretty happy to see a very nice looking grill that I had rehabbed quite a while ago.

I have been using the Rustoleum product for two or three years now and find it works well for my needs on my rehabs. I can't say how well it does long term as all of my grills are spread out over Wisconsin, but I have yet to have any one call to complain. Actually, I did drive by a home where I delivered a grill a good three years ago. He had the grill just about 15 feet off the road and no cover and no under no shelter. It was in the same place when I drove by. It looked dang good for being neglected. I don't know if I used any Rustoleum rust reformer on that one or not. But, I was pretty happy to see a very nice looking grill that I had rehabbed quite a while ago.
That is a good feeling. I had a guy I sold a grill to a year ago call me early in the morning to let me know that he saw a grill on the side of the road and thought to call me, and let me know, so I may pick it up. He said he was very happy with the grill I sold him a year earlier.

I have had the same thing. Lady I rehabbed a Silver A for called me about 6 months later telling me there was Genesis three burner on the curb by her house. I asked her if it had thermoset tables or slats and she went to check. two minutes later, she came back and said it was gone. hahaha
I have had several drag in their old tired Genesis when they came to buy one of my rehabs. One guy I gave $30 but the others were just free. My scrapper guy has sold me three Genesis grills off his trailer. I usually give him $20 - $30 if they are in decent shape. He is more than happy with that saying it is a lot more than it would be worth scrapped.

I have been using the Rustoleum product for two or three years now and find it works well for my needs on my rehabs. I can't say how well it does long term as all of my grills are spread out over Wisconsin, but I have yet to have any one call to complain.
Well you never know..................Maybe a string of unhappy people may form a posse and start coming to your house....................guns drawn :D In the case of the Rustomleum I tried brush on and spray on products. neither worked at all for me. Though understand I was using them more in automotive work. Much harsher conditions. Re the clogging. I had no such issues with Eastwood. The key was I maintained a clean hose and nozzle (there is a joke in there somewhere) :D on an ongoing basis BEFORE the product could harden. Because once that stuff hardens you cannot chisel it off. I have some areas of my garage floor, I spilled some on. I have tried a hammer and cold chisel on it. No getting it off LOL

I was a little disappointed that he didn't include Ospho (phosphoric acid), which might be the basis for many of the rust converters out there. It's been around longer than I have. :giggle:

I used Loctite Rust Neutralizer on the S-210 I restored 2 years ago. The Borough Public Works guys hauled it away from the curb yesterday and I cooked the London Broil on the newly restored Broilmaster last night.
The salt air environment and painted sheet metal are just not compatible regardless of the effort and product used. Stainless steel and aluminum are the only real solution.
Around September 10 or so, the town does bulk trash pickup for one week. People put stuff to the curb...beds, sofas,TVs, patio furniture, bikes and lots of grills. I'm talking about some homes that are valued at $2-$4 million and up...and that's these folks summer homes.
People think nothing of tossing a 5 year old Genesis because the igniter no longer works. Of course there are lots of $129 CharBroil rust buckets too.

Done. We'll see. Thanks for the idea, Joe, although I didn't try searching through the 4700+ comments to see if someone else had suggested it.
I'm not surprised that I got a canned response..."Thanks for the constructive feedback". He's a busy guy.

I'm not surprised that I got a canned response..."Thanks for the constructive feedback". He's a busy guy.
The nice thing about the comments is that I learn stuff from others feedback, as I just learned about Ospho (phosphoric acid) from you, others will now.

For my 2 cents, I had a first experience with Rustoleum Rust Reformer similar to what Larry had. I tried Eastwood and found it to work very well - EXCEPT that no matter how hard I tried to clear out the nozzle after use (upside down, etc.) I had two cans clog up only partially used. That stuff is too expensive to use that way. I tried getting Eastwood to send me some replacement nozzles and even placed an order. At least at that time they were having so much trouble that they canceled my order! Of course never received the nozzles either.

So I gave Rustoleum another try. This time I tried extra hard to shake up well. I don’t know if that did it or if I got a better batch, but this time it worked as well as Eastwood without the rapid clogging issue.

I'm considering using some sort of rust reformer myself, however I'm not sure that it's a good idea to use on the firebox exterior, as I don't see any heat rating noted on it, and thus I'm wondering if it might cause the high heat paint to separate prematurely when the bond between the metal and the rust reformer fails.

I'm considering using some sort of rust reformer myself, however I'm not sure that it's a good idea to use on the firebox exterior, as I don't see any heat rating noted on it, and thus I'm wondering if it might cause the high heat paint to separate prematurely when the bond between the metal and the rust reformer fails.
The firebox is made out of aluminum so it wouldn't be necessary. I've used rust reformer on frame pieces and then coated with high heat paint however.

Back