product info page

Mark P

TVWBB Member
Just wondering about the statement on the product info page when talking about the three WSM'S it reads:: These three cookers cost several times more than competitive models, but as they say, "Buy the best, and only cry once." Typo? or not ?

I believe that the statement is talking about the cheap vertical smokers that look similar to a WSM. However, they have very poor air control and shouldn't be allowed in the same room with a WSM.

When I became interested in a dedicated smoker, I did a bit of research. When you can buy a smoker that will produce product that will absolutely compete with smokers costing THOUSANDS of dollars, for either $200.00, $300.00, or $400.00 (14.5, 18.5, and 22.5) you have a bargain unit. After I bought my 18.5 and used it a few times, THAT is what I have come to believe. Unlike many products on the market, the WSM will still be doing this twenty years from now. That is certainly NOT the performance I have had with other manufacturers gas grills, as an example (two years and done...).

I am NOT one of those blind fan boys of ANY product. However, Weber's seem to bring the best out in me:rolleyes:...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

To put it another way, "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Buy the WSM and "cry once" over spending more money, or buy the cheaper alternatives and cry (or more likely, curse) every time you use it, and again when you have to replace it in a couple of years.

Just wondering about the statement on the product info page when talking about the three WSM'S it reads:: These three cookers cost several times more than competitive models, but as they say, "Buy the best, and only cry once." Typo? or not ?

I dunno, why do you think it's a typo?
Should it be " Buy the best, and only cry thrice"??:p

Tim

I think it's very true about Weber speaking from my experience with the brand. My Silver B has been running strong for 13+ years and I just bought the 18" WSM and could not believe how good my first set of ribs and my very first pork butt was coming out of it! I COULD NOT BELIEVE I was able to do that with the WSM. Being a guy that loves woodworking, beer making, photography and gardening this really appeals to my creative nature! However, I do have to give a lot of credit to this forum since I read a lot on recipes, techniques and lessons learned prior to the first cook with the smoker. So it was like having a bunch of guys hanging out telling me how to do my first cook while i was doing it! Really was a great first and second cook. Cry about the price, yeah- it was a lot more than what I wanted to spend but I spent a lot more than that on restaurant BBQ in the last three months alone. I see this thing paying for itself. And if my Weber gasser is any indication about the Weber brand, I'm sure I'll have my WSM for 15+ years! I can't say that about other makers of grills though I do see a lot of others at the county dump.

Jumping in here.
I looked at the WSM a few times, but was talked into the red electric smoker. It was a great deal, and worked perfectly every time I used it. It was a pleasure to use, all the way up to where it overheated and made me re-think smoking vs. burning down my garage.
Now I have the WSM and it also works great, and I'm not burning down the house for a pork butt.
It's built like my Performer and will last at least as long as I will.
So to make a long story longer, I spent the money on the WSM and the only thing I'm crying over is not doing it the first time. I could have bought a lot of butts for what I spent on the red electric.

Thanks for the input everyone, my thought was how on earth could the three WSM'S cost more than comp mods? the fact is I could buy 7 or 8 WSM 22.5 for the price of one comp cooker such as a Jambo, stumps, backwoods, meadowcreek, assassin, ect. Another fact is most in comps they use the WSM not the high price comp rigs as mentioned, AND they WIN with the WSM. I think with the wording of the above OP might need some rewording as it may confuse new buyers.

I'm pretty sure the wording was for "competitive" models like a Brinkman which is cheaper, not "Competition" models like the backwoods,stumps etc.
In all fairness to the WSM I don't think you can re-word that and put it in the same sentence as a "comparable" model like a Brinkman.:wsm:

Tim

Back