Probes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
I seem to have burned out the probes on both my Polder and a remote thermometer I have. Could anyone recommend a good source on the web for ordering replacements? I don't remember the name of the remote, but it's one of those that were on sale at Costco and came with a fork therm. It's at my beach house at the moment, so I can't check the name, but I know some of you are familiar with it as I learned about it on this board. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Mr S.

Mr. S.

Sounds like the Nu-Temp brand. I do not use those, or have a link, but surely someone else can help out with that part.

Jim

Mr S.,
The wire leading to the head of the probe probabaly melted. I would suggest also ordering a flexible ceramic sleeve like Nextel from www.omega.com
The end is simply sealed with insulation foil tape. I've had very good success with this method ,first proposed by Webb Collings. A search through the archives last year would give you more details.

You can order replacement Polder probes directly from Polder at 800-431-2133 ext. 245. Hours are 8:30-5pm Eastern.

Regards,
Chris

I have a Nu-Temp (also with a dead probe) from Costco and it is indeed a Model 701. I kept meaning to ask here if anyone knew where to get a replacement probe, but I kept forgetting!

Thanks for asking, Mr. Squeaky!

Kelly

We sell digital thermometers under the name Acurite, and hear fairly often from customers who have melted their braided probe wire too.

It says in the manual that the wire is safe up to 392 degrees (F), so I can't figure out why it would ever get melted - unless you were using it to gauge the temp. of a steak or other meat on direct high heat.

Anyway, it does happen fairly often. The obvious way to avoid this is to only measure roasts, turkeys, etc. that roast at around 325-350 degrees or lower. I hadn't heard of the ceramic sleeve. That's a good idea too I guess.

Mea culpa. I got in a hurry with a pork butt and decided to foil it and put it in the oven for the last hour. I left the Nu-Temp probe in the meat and turned the oven up to a temperature that was obviously beyond the capacity of the Nu-Temp probe. I've learned my lesson now and will definitely not expose my probes to such high temperatures. I'm not sure what happened to my Polder probe though as I've never used it for high-temp cooks. I'm looking into the ceramic sleeves. If they work it sounds like they'll eventually pay for themselves. Thanks to all of you for the sage advice.

Mr S.

I have a completely different problem with my NU-Temp 701 units from costco. The probes still seem to work, however, the LCD on the transmitter unit has gone totally blank. I can still read the temp from the reciever unit, but not the transmitter. I bought 2 and have the same problem on both. Any thoughts?

Bill

I've had the same problems Bill. I've also had the receiver lose contact with the transmitter for hours at a time (no, wasn't out of range). And now the transmitter constantly reads a temperature in the mid 200's (even when the meat is right out of the fridge).

Oh well.

I was about to curse Nu-temp over this same issue until I saw their FAQ on battery installation. I had been using Duracell's which have a shorter nib end thereby not making good contact. Also, the battery gets dilodged if the transmitter gets dropped. You may want to re-check. Also, I highly recommend the ceramic sleeve. I've had the braided wire enclosed up to the probe area enclosed over an open grill with no problem.

The last sentence should read I've had the braided wire enclosed up to the top of the probe enclosed in the ceramic sleeve with no problems.

I replaced the Duracell batteries with Everyready batteries and that did the trick. Thanks.

I didn't think that was the problem because a)the unit itself came with duracells, b)the unit used to work properly and then stopped working after time, c)the unit still transmitted (it just didn't display) so the batteries seemed to be working. So, once again, I guess logic only gets in the way.

thanks for the help.

Bill

Hey Bill,
It is possible that a glitch in the transmitter unit caused your problem, and by replacing the batteries, you also "reset" the unit by powering it down.

The strange thing is that both showed the same symptoms at once. But, hey, they're working now, so go figger!

No, I don't think that's the case because the first thing I tried was replacing the batteries. I used brand new duracells and had the same problem. I kept taking them out and switching them around but had no luck.

I continued using them without the LCD display anyway since they seemed to transmit okay and I could read the temp on the receiver. Then when I read this thread, I replaced them again with Eveready batteries and they started working again. I tested the Duracells and they still had a good charge in them.

Bill

I've had three Ploder probes go bad. I return them to Ploder and they send me a new one with a note saying not to exceed 392*F. The only way I could get this temp it to put my smoker in the oven. I believe they get poorly constructed probes.

Save your sales reciept, make multiple copies and put your return letter on the computer and just keep cycling them back!

Allan

I suspect I'll be bringing down the hands of fate by saying this but I've been using Polders (or their clone equivilatns) for about 4 years and have not had a probe go bad. I even ordered 4 extras (back when they were 6 bucks each) and haven't had to dip into that stash yet. I guess I've been lucky.

Bill

Bill, you've been very fortunate. The culprit,irrespective of brand, is the braided wire connection into the probe head. It consists of very thin wire that melts around 400deg. With temp spikes especially from lump, it's not hard to believe. That's why the ceramic sleeve from Omega is the perfect solution.

Strange stuff.
I have been using 2 Taylor remotes for two years. These things have seen all sorts of temperatures, never had a failure, only replaced batteries once in each unit. Can not say for sure they have been up near 390?, but I cook with lump with out a pan plenty of times, at temps up in the 350? range. Can I be that lucky?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back