Prime Rib: Kettle or Bullet?

Paul R

TVWBB Fan
Surfing boob tube channels at my 93 year old father's house last night, i stopped on an old episode of Good Eats just as AB was slicing into a prime rib roast. "Should we get one of those for Christmas?" he said. "We'll see"
Dad has an old 22 kettle and my brother has a 18 WSM stored at Dad's house. Weather permitting, i would like to cook the roast on one or the other. I am leaning towards the kettle, mainly because Dad has had it so long, and likes it when i use it.

I have only cooked prime rib once, and that was on a BGE. Any advice or input appreciated. Just going to do it k.i.s.s. , because i think beef tastes best that way.

Paul

Indirect on the kettle at 325-350 and a bit of oak for smoke. Rub with salt, pepper and some garlic. Put a pan under it if you want gravy or au jus.

Paul,

I know I risk heresy, but for prime rib I abandon my webers and use the Alton Brown reverse sear method from the oven. I've been doing this method for the past 6 or 7 year on Christmas day and it is always perfect and loved. Worth a try, at least, I'd say. Good luck.

Either one will do the job, so it's mostly personal preference. For me, the bullet has the advantage in ease of temperature control.

The reverse sear is a good call, though, AFTER cooking over charcoal with a bit of smoke.

Thanks guys.That AB roast sure looked good alright. So, that brings the WSM into play, as i think he did the first part of the cook at about 200, if i remember right.

Paul

I let my rib roasts come to room temp, throw on the WSM or ceramic at 275 to about 10 degrees below desired remove temp and then reverse sear. I feel this approach gives me the most consistent temp from edge to center.

My vote is on the kettle, doing it just as Mr Sample suggested.
It's pretty foolproof, and as you stated, Dad likes it when you use the kettle.
Just mind the internal temp.

Enjoy, and cherish the cook Paul!

High temp-indirect kettle - meat done-ness will vary throughout the roast.
Low temp-sear at end WSM - meat done-ness consistant throughout the roast
I like medium rare throughout so I would do it on the WSM

What Russell said. I would cook it low´n´slow @ the wsm or just L&S on the kettle(indirect) Take it of like larry said 5-10f below target temp. Let it rest. Then blast it direct on the kettle...Or over the coals in the wsm. The resting will alow your meat to go up 5f if cooked L&S. More at higher cooking temps. And a simple salt/pepper might be the best. Or make a Herb paste of oil/garlic/thyme/rosmary/salt/pepper.

Good luck and be sure to report back.

Originally posted by Russell Y:
High temp-indirect kettle - meat done-ness will vary throughout the roast.

Actually this is one of the reasons I like high heat. You can give everyone what they want from medium to rare.

Semi-off topic here, but can y'all explain the reverse-sear? Wouldn't the outside already be pretty dark from the hour(s) in the smoker?

Originally posted by BryanSW:
Semi-off topic here, but can y'all explain the reverse-sear? Wouldn't the outside already be pretty dark from the hour(s) in the smoker?

If your smoke is right, the rib roast shouldn't be dark at all, especially since it's only on the cooker for a relatively short time compared to BBQ. Regardless, IMO, the sear is for more for FLAVOR, not just appearance.

This is how I'd do it: wsm low-n-slow with water in the pan, lump and pecan or oak. To reverse sear at end, remove the racks and pan to sear directly over the ring. I've only cooked one like this on the bullet, but next time I'll push the coals all to the side to avoid any fat in the fire. If I want that I'd just as soon grill rib-eyes.

Sure do appreciate all the great info guys. The varying degrees of doneness sound appealing for me. My family thinks i undercook everything from burgers to chicken. And, even though a medium rare all the way through would be my preference, this way would give everyone their choice. Especially my Dad.

Paul

No reason you can't reverse sear on the kettle even after a longer cook, it will just take a few more minutes to get the coals hot.

Bryan,

The purpose of searing is to get the Maillard Reaction. Basically, that's how the outside of something (like bread or meat) changes as it gets very hot. It's similar to carmelization, and it adds another layer of flavor for steaks. But to really get it right, you want a VERY hot fire. I think at least 600-800 degrees at the grate.

There are a few reasons for a reverse sear. If you sear AFTER you've cooked the inside to desire temp, you can open the vents and leave the lid off and let your fire get really hot (before you put the meat over the coals), and you don't have to worry about cooling down the grill again before you cook the inside. The grill heats up much faster than it cools down. I think the reverse sear is easier, and a lot of folks think it produces better results (more evenly cooked steak in the middle).

The last two Christmases I've cooked standing rib roasts on the 18" WSM.

Cook it at 225 or so until internal temp reaches 125 or so, then I rest it tented under foil for 30 minutes, during which time I add more fuel, open the vents all the way, prop open the door, and offset the lid just a bit - which gives me a good >400 when using lump.

Then I put the roast back on for 8-10 minutes and I have a perfect medium rare roast throughout, with a nice crispy seared exterior!

Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
The last two Christmases I've cooked standing rib roasts on the 18" WSM.

Cook it at 225 or so until internal temp reaches 125 or so, then I rest it tented under foil for 30 minutes, during which time I add more fuel, open the vents all the way, prop open the door, and offset the lid just a bit - which gives me a good >400 when using lump.

Then I put the roast back on for 8-10 minutes and I have a perfect medium rare roast throughout, with a nice crispy seared exterior!

Great technique, Steve, and good fuel choice for it as well.

i'll be doing a prime rib for Christmas too and will try it on the WSM. i usually do it on the gasser with the rotisserie - comes out great everytime! Steve / Dave - i like your method with the reverse sear, etc... so i will try that. i figure as long as it's not overcooked you can't really go wrong!

Merry Christmas to you all!

Back