Pounding on the drum...ettes!

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
These drumettes have become a family favorite over the last few months. I do them differently each time. Last night was a rub with chili and lime
5FE7C0A6-A15D-46B3-9DB8-4A95F04B9189.jpeg
Then and indirect and hot cook 350-375 but last night I used my recently delivered peach 🍑 wood from Fruita...more on that in a minute...
AC6A54D6-BD9D-4ADE-93A8-ED62E2CD8AB9.jpegThese stayed on the grill for almost an hour
327CE82C-A72A-4E45-BEA0-8D9CE897601F.jpeg
I did a glaze with olive oil, lemonade, minced garlic, honey, bourbon, and spices and let it cook down for about 30 minutes. The glaze was put on right after taking the drumettes off and swirled in a bowl. AFB23692-3C85-43FE-A361-8DF8D72501DD.jpegEAB7EB06-A1AB-4D55-8862-66893D140384.jpeg
OK...back to that peach 🍑 wood...WOW! That was my first time using peach...so soft and flavorful it blew me away. I can’t wait to try it on some pork. Have a great weekend everyone!

Richard,
Those look at of this world, how was the glaze? I am running low on the local hickory and pecan wood that has got me through the winter. I think I am going to take the leap and get some frutia wood. I am not able to find oak or peach local, so I think I am going to try at least those two.

I've migrated my wing game over to drumettes only.

While a perfectly cooked flat is the sine qua non of crispy wingness, I find that great results are a lot simpler and repeatable by going all drummies. Less likely to get over-cooked as I'm trying to get the skin to near fried texture.

Drum only packs are slightly less expensive than flat/drum party packs. So I guess that means that most people like the flats more?

Richard,
Those look at of this world, how was the glaze? I am running low on the local hickory and pecan wood that has got me through the winter. I think I am going to take the leap and get some frutia wood. I am not able to find oak or peach local, so I think I am going to try at least those two.
The glaze is really the cherry on top! Using a lot of honey is the key and letting it cook down. Good luck with your Fruita order!

I've migrated my wing game over to drumettes only.

While a perfectly cooked flat is the sine qua non of crispy wingness, I find that great results are a lot simpler and repeatable by going all drummies. Less likely to get over-cooked as I'm trying to get the skin to near fried texture.

Drum only packs are slightly less expensive than flat/drum party packs. So I guess that means that most people like the flats more?
Great point about being repeatable. They are pretty easy and results are similar each time

Back