Potluck pulled pork

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yesterday-today I worked on the pulled pork for Maribel potluck lunch for work. Here's how it went.....

Made my own rub with whatever ingredients I have.
F883D73D-97F5-4164-8DF4-D6248A89DF4B.jpg

Smoker ready with Applewood
744DFD86-A990-4353-AC41-C6F9D8A6B9C9.jpg

Got to use my new Maverick. It's pretty cool.
314C52F6-1B50-40D8-B834-BA7B53FC64F5_1.jpg

I had it like this at first but then decided to hang it somewhere else. I was afraid of damaging my new Maverick.
BD65BC79-5195-4B1B-9C69-159069B12971.jpg

A few action shots

E3314C6C-BCFD-4398-B33E-DD7819460095.jpg

524D7B86-91B6-4780-AFE5-AD7650223997.jpg

About 2:00 am in morning the pork was ready. The maverick alarm woke me up. I checked for tenderness and it was ready. Wrapped and held it until my wife was ready to go to work.

83501C9C-0D43-4601-8A24-09462E9406AC.jpg

Thanks for stopping by everyone and Merry Christmas

Tony and Maribel.

That pork looks perfect Tony....that will be the highlight of the party right there. You're a good man for working so hard for her party. I don't keep my Maverick that close to my smoker either. I have a little table that I put it on, those things are too expensive to take any risks.

Nice PP!Its cool that your dome thermometer is right on the money, I bought that same thermometer for 5.99 for my JJ and its right on too.

What was in your Rub Tony it looks delicious, cant wait to hear the comments Maribel got on her dish at the pot luck.

Looks great! Just an FYI, I have hung my maverick like that on my 22.5 WSM many times without any issues with the heat. The trouble I would have is I knocked it off a few times while setting the lid down. I have since started using a 5 gallon bucket as a little table for it. At some point I need to make a little side table for the maverick and to hang the lid on and foil ribs... One of these days :rolleyes:

The pork looks delicious. How do you like the new toy?
I like it.... I like that fact I can see the pit temp and food temp. Before I was cooking by look and feel. I know how my cooker behaves and this just helps me to confirm what I'm doing.

He main reason I got it was for the tri tips and pork loins and chicken. The other cheap one I had melted where the wire connects. This was due to high heat cooks but with the maverick I think I will be fine now.

What was in your Rub Tony it looks delicious, cant wait to hear the comments Maribel got on her dish at the pot luck.

This what I had on hand. It's posted on Instsgram. Another BBQ guys asked me the same. Let me know if you can see it. It's in the comments section.

http://instagram.com/p/iQkMSHRZIc/

Maribel told me she went to the upstairs conference room to check on the pork. She said the whole floor smelled like BBQ.
I will let you guys know what the response was....

Last edited:
Looks great! Just an FYI, I have hung my maverick like that on my 22.5 WSM many times without any issues with the heat. The trouble I would have is I knocked it off a few times while setting the lid down. I have since started using a 5 gallon bucket as a little table for it. At some point I need to make a little side table for the maverick and to hang the lid on and foil ribs... One of these days :rolleyes:

I decided to hang it on the performer... But I need to figure something in case I need to move the wsm.

b93b8273f76a5ced2e4fc5e6366c0eae.jpg

Got it.

tonyymaribel
@tdubb7190 1/4 c paprika, 4 tbs brown sugar, 3 tbs of sea salt , the next ingredients are 2tbs worth onion powders, garlic powder, cumin,coriander ,pepper ,cayenne powder and crushed oregano.

Looks great! That is how to show up at a Potluck!

I hang my remote thermometer on the side door handle/knob...seems to work fine.

Dear Tony,

That looks incredible. I love pork just about any way it is cooked but I think I like BBQ the best. It's too bad you live so far away because I like to sample other folks stuff.

For now I'm happy to watch and learn but I'm thinking I might need to get a smoker before too long?

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Regards,

Tim Murphy;)

Back