Pot Roast in the Cream Can

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
For whatever reason our grocery store chain here has decided to not put roasts out anymore. So I've had to really hunt to find any type of roast.

Last week they had chuck roasts finally so I picked up a couple. One for the freezer, on for dinner. Since I was limited on time I used the cream can. Put in the standard veggies, onion, carrots, taters, and celery. Added beef bone stock and a Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I should mention that the roast marinated in Henderson's relish with SPOG for 2 days.

Brought the pot to boil reduced the heat to low and let the roast cook for 3.5 hours. Pull from the pot and let rest 30 minutes before slicing. Roast was butter knife tender, veggies were perfect. I used the stock to make a simple gravy. My wife doesn't care for gravy so she used the stock as Au Jus.

Veggies in the pot. The carrots were too pretty to cut up!

45481378895_4fdf930cc2_c.jpg

46343074612_ef581f677a_c.jpg

46394131141_255ba319b7_c.jpg

46394130361_b3ac98b4c6_c.jpg

As usual there were leftovers. I like open face hot meat sandwees so that happened!

32521816928_37c1335f34_c.jpg

44576891400_6892953570_c.jpg

31454384667_e4a2e659da_c.jpg

Nice combination there Case, looks really good. Speaking of roasts Fry's (Kroger) had bone in rib roasts for $3.97 a pound so yesterday we bought a couple and had them cut into ten 1 1/2 inch steaks and another 2 bone roast. Merry Christmas to me.;)

Nice combination there Case, looks really good. Speaking of roasts Fry's (Kroger) had bone in rib roasts for $3.97 a pound so yesterday we bought a couple and had them cut into ten 1 1/2 inch steaks and another 2 bone roast. Merry Christmas to me.;)

Thanks Rich! I went to our Safeway this morning and they had (4) rib roasts, all $8.99/#. Those are the only rib roasts I've seen this year. Don't know what the deal is but Safeway/Albertsons has quit marketing roasts. All steaks or burger. I'll have to give our Fred Meyers a look, I see ours has rib roasts on sale for $6.99/#. Unfortunately for me its out of the way so I don't go there often.

That looks wonderful Case. Love it all. Your gravy looks excellent. Perfect winter time meal!

Thank you Cliff! Yeah the gravy was good. Just the simple 2 table spoons flour & butter for a roux & 2 cups stock with salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks Rich! I went to our Safeway this morning and they had (4) rib roasts, all $8.99/#. Those are the only rib roasts I've seen this year. Don't know what the deal is but Safeway/Albertsons has quit marketing roasts. All steaks or burger. I'll have to give our Fred Meyers a look, I see ours has rib roasts on sale for $6.99/#. Unfortunately for me its out of the way so I don't go there often.

That's interesting our Safeway has rib eye bone in roasts whole in the bag at $4.57 a pound this week. I usually get theirs but with Fry's being under $4.00 a pound I went there instead.

Case, both of those meals look delicious. Awesome job on both and love the gravy on your sandwich. Those veggie makes the pic nice color.

That's some fine home-cooking, Case. Not really a fan of pot roast, but yours could change my mind.

Back