Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

Hope you are all doing well in this crazy times!
Just started two pork butts @BGE w/ an Adapt-a-Damper: http://reppeuk.mooo.com:2013/
P: 4
I: 0.02
D: 7

Unit - as usual in Europe - is degree Celsius.
AAF478FD-A8D2-479D-A206-3E845B256E73.jpeg
Edit: have to take it offline - I messed up the pi configuration
avr is still running

2nd edit: Flashing a new firmware during a cook was not the best idea this time. Did not get the connection between Pi an AVR back. Tried also flashing an image using the URL w/ no success. But: The cook went well, the AVR did run like a charm. After the cook, I tried again to flash the snapshot, but also did not get a connection. Only when I went w/ a fresh install from the snapshot image using PiBaker, I did get back connection between Pi and AVR.
Thanks again Brian for this great project!

Attachments

• 70F83573-CFE1-44DF-A347-699BC48FF81D.jpeg
    70F83573-CFE1-44DF-A347-699BC48FF81D.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Doing burn-in and PID test of my new 22.5 WSM. Using the Alum-a-Damper, but settings would be the same for the Adapt-a-Damper. Here are the settings. Standard 50mm Delta Fan with MG90S Servo.

bigbeggbbq.servebeer.com

1st 2 hours was trying to adjust fan settings with stock PIDs to stabilize.

PID = Stock
P = 4
I = .02
D = 5

Fan:
Min = 0
Max = 20
Startup Max = 50Servo fully open at 100% (follows fan)

bigbeggbbq.servebeer.com

Had to google that. Chinese BBQ Pork? What cut is that? Notice the smoke temp at 225, so obviously Low and Slow. Looks like you just put the food on.

Had to google that. Chinese BBQ Pork? What cut is that? Notice the smoke temp at 225, so obviously Low and Slow. Looks like you just put the food on.
I
It was a bone in pork butt, cut it up into about 8 pieces and marinated overnight. Yep, just put it on, lol.

I know I should know, but what smoker are you using, and what control (fan/damper) and settings? I started a thread to share these settings.

Oh! Forgot you made one. The big brother of my little 1/2 pan! Awesome! Isn't it amazing how those gravity feeds keep temp? (and recover very quickly). I'm in the process of building the double pan, and plan on mounting on a trailer (this summer).

Oh! Forgot you made one. The big brother of my little 1/2 pan! Awesome! Isn't it amazing how those gravity feeds keep temp? (and recover very quickly). I'm in the process of building the double pan, and plan on mounting on a trailer (this summer).

Yeah, I love the DP. It's so good at keeping a stable temp. If you make one, make sure you change the charcoal ash grate, to be removable. I want to modify mine, but I would need to cut it out and redo it. Makes cleaning it much easier. Now, I just let it burn down on it's own, if I want to get the charcoal out completely.

Yeah, I have the plans for the DP. I made the mini removable, but it was in the plans. Not sure why the DP plans show not to. I will modify per your suggestion.

Stuck lump? Got a plug in the chimney? Time Stamp 7:49 MST. Your're dropping fast. Has to be a bridge in the lump!

Last edited:
ChrisB, Could you please post your config settings for your BGE. Would love to see what you ended up with for that cook. Chris also what was the weather, temp, humidity and type of lump charcoal you used. I am trying to make an extensive database with config, weather, and lump data as to help other with tuning and cooking. Graph looks great. WBegg, do you have a new Adapt-a-Damper?
Sorry I missed this! Turned out great overall. I let it go overnight and wrapped in the morning. It was pretty solid and juicy throughout. Pulled at 203 but only had about an hour to rest before dinner. Wish I had let it rest longer. It's warm down here - I think that day was mid-80's during the day and prob low-to-mid 70's overnight. I used FOGO lump for that cook with hickory and pecan chunks. I'll take better notes for my next cook.

For the config settings - you're talking about the stuff in the HeaterMeter Configuration page? I have not changed any of the defaults. Is there a wiki / guide on what I need to do for those? I've got a 18" WSM as well as my XL BGE, and I guess maybe I'd want to change settings when using one over the other? Hmm... Any guidance here would be appreciated!

Same Adapt-a-Damper. I just now designed a new adapter piece, though, that's a bit longer with a set screw to attach better to the Guru interface to prevent it from falling off. I'm sending you one, ChrisB, once I get it printed out.
Wow, thanks WBegg! (Sorry I just saw this).

If you make one, make sure you change the charcoal ash grate, to be removable. I want to modify mine, but I would need to cut it out and redo it. Makes cleaning it much easier.

I haven't looked in here in quite a while. Yes, absolutely and unquestionably, you want a removable grate for multiple reasons. Being able to shake the grate for ash bridging, being able to dump the fire, and being able to get non-burnables out (I use natural lump charcoal only) are all good reasons. I haven't found a downside to a removable grate yet.

I do want to build another grate, but with 3/4" spacing instead of 1.2" spacing. I hope that'll help with some ash bridging.

I've already burned through the expanded sheet screen between the firebox and the cook chamber. That's gonna get a replacement grate made of some 1/4" stainless round stock.

I haven't looked in here in quite a while. Yes, absolutely and unquestionably, you want a removable grate for multiple reasons. Being able to shake the grate for ash bridging, being able to dump the fire, and being able to get non-burnables out (I use natural lump charcoal only) are all good reasons. I haven't found a downside to a removable grate yet.

I do want to build another grate, but with 3/4" spacing instead of 1.2" spacing. I hope that'll help with some ash bridging.

I've already burned through the expanded sheet screen between the firebox and the cook chamber. That's gonna get a replacement grate made of some 1/4" stainless round stock.
Geez, I havent even looked to see if the expanded metal divider is good or not. How would you even get in there to replace it.

It took me a while to figure out that I'd had ash covering up the screen, wait a minute, no, that's not just ash, that's other stuff as well, and the metal is pretty well burned through. I think there's enough in the charcoal chute to reach up in there to cut it out, or at least cut the bottom & the sides and fold it back into the flue. My MIG gun has a 45 degree bend, so with a mirror I should be able to take a new grate in place over the flue opening. It really shouldn't take much to hold it.

About 5 years ago, I rebuilt the charcoal tray in my charcoal grill using a stainless expanded sheet as a burning surface, and 1/4" 304 SS round stock for cooking grates (yes, I'm set up for stainless in both my MIG and my TIG welders.) The charcoal tray is holding up beautifully, and as soon as this quarantine is lifted sufficiently, I'm off to get myself a new charcoal grill. And I'm sure NOT going to just pitch those parts out of the old grill when it goes out for trash.

Ribs are done, but I thought I'd try monitoring until charcoal was spent. Here it is. My mini (single pan) Gravity Feed. Using a 15 CFM fan (15CFM Adapt-a-Damper) without servo. Fan only. Fan max is 30%. Just dropped down to 230 from 250 to conserve fuel and see how long the coals will burn.

Back