Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

Nice rig Steve... Heater Meter rocking the BGE in sunny California, don't get much better than that! As nice as your setup is, your pics highlight one of the best reasons to look at using your probes over the CAT5 cable. Doing that your probes would connect down by your damper and you would only have the one CAT5 cable running from the grill to the HM, so no dangling probe leads between the grill and the Heater Meter. The probes will work well over a CAT5 cable as long as 50Ft so you can put the HM neatly just about anywhere you want it, it keeps things real neat. Recently I collaborated with John B to make an I/O board with Thermocouple amp on it for my roto damper, this board has the thermocouple amp and jack, two food probe jacks and the CAT5 jack on one neat little (SMD) board. (I think John has one for three standard probes too) Or you can hard wire the probes with panel mount jacks... Just thought I would throw out that suggestion since you have the CAT5 cable run there with the spare wires in it for the probes....

Nothing too fancy, but thought I'd share. Here is my setup:

ZbUeQW1.jpg

Here's the chicken going in. I will be adding some wings shortly:

pUAAu8T.jpg

2nd HM cook. competition practice.

Competition practice. 11.5 lb prime brisket and 6 lb picnic (before trimming). Chargriller Smokin pro. Homemade cardboard flap damper on fan inlet.

http://drkhm.homeip.net:8081

Last edited:
12 lb Brisket

Bought it at 15.8 lbs. Trimmed to 12 lbs. 1/4c Kosher salt, 1/4c coarse black pepper

Started it last night at 11:20pm. BPID = 0,4,0.02,5. Rotodamper and stock HM blower on a UDS

Was running blower with the damper at 75% max. At 3:30, adjusted blower max to 100%. Temp smoothed out.

Lid detect triggered last night around 11:30pm, but did not the 2 other times I opned the lid (at 3:30 and at 5:15)

150516-0529%20Temp%20Chart%20Capture_zpsk47wrenr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

First Pork Butt with HM

Got my first pork butt with the HM on just before the storms hit this morning.

About a 4.5lb boneless butt, trimmed, dry brined for about 16hrs and rubbed with the Salt Lick's Garlic Rub.

Here's a link: bbq.wbhinton.com

Lets see how it goes!

Last edited:
Got another butt going.
4lb bone in pork butt. Kingsford bluebag and mesquite. Weber 22.5" SM, Heatermeter 4.2.4
bbq.wbhinton.com
Live video
wbhinton.is-an-engineer.com:4608
UN: guest
PW: temp1

Should be pretty boring until about 11am.

Last edited:
Got another butt going.
4lb bone in pork butt. Kingsford bluebag and mesquite. Weber 22.5" SM, Heatermeter 4.2.4
bbq.wbhinton.com
Live video
wbhinton.is-an-engineer.com:4608
UN: guest
PW: temp1

Should be pretty boring until about 11am.

Hi WBHinton

What is your BPID, blower and RD settings

It looks pretty steady

I have left it at the default values, I am closing all lower vents, except the one with the blower and have the top damper choked back at 2/3rd to 3/4 closed.
Bias: 0
Proportional: 4
Integral: .02
Derivative: 5

Fan Out: Voltage
Min: 0
Max: 100

I don't have any servos rigged up at the moment.

I have left it at the default values, I am closing all lower vents, except the one with the blower and have the top damper choked back at 2/3rd to 3/4 closed.
Bias: 0
Proportional: 4
Integral: .02
Derivative: 5

Fan Out: Voltage
Min: 0
Max: 100

I don't have any servos rigged up at the moment.

Thanks for the info I will use it for my first run of the HM to day i hope getting the same result. :)

got my first smoke with the HM running now. Have the fan hooked up but not the servo yet. http://mybbq.me/ Fan is set to 30% max. Cooking babyback ribs now. Chicken, and 2 fatties to go on in a few hours. So far I am very impressed. I have been struggling to control this new smoker but the HM is doing good so far. I even used it to get up to temp set to 60% startup. Other than that everything is set to stock settings. I did have to close the ball valve I had open as another intake a little bit.

10lb brisket in the Akorn. Huge overshoot on the startup. Roto-damper making its third run after replacing a seriously twitchy servo.

http://phillip.is-a-geek.net:56789

All done. Still getting to know the redhead fauxmodo and the rotodamper.

But, it sure smells great.

Brisket.png

Now both the brisket and I need to take a rest.

;)

Last edited:

Back