Pork vs beef

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
So just been tossing this idea around and curious what everyone else's thoughts are?! I seem to favor pork ribs over beef and I think pork steaks
Are great but prefer beef steaks, so I guess what I'm trying to ask if do you prefer to cook more pork or more beef
With cost in mind? I think personally with cost as a factor pork wins it In my house but occasionally we pony up the money for some good beef

We enjoy both...but I purchase a 1/2 beef and a whole hog every year for around $1000-1100 all vacuumed packed and labeled. Local farmer

For Steak-Beef, Ribs-Pork, I love brisket and pork butt. I cook alot more pork though since cost is a factor, I also cook a fair amount of venison coming from a family that hunts.

Hamilton I agree completely but unfortunately most my family won't eat venison I have freezer full every year but rarely get to cook it for meals usually jerky and summer sausage

Hamilton I agree completely but unfortunately most my family won't eat venison I have freezer full every year but rarely get to cook it for meals usually jerky and summer sausage

I made country fried steak with venison cubed steak today for lunch... put some ground in a pot of spaghetti or do a roast with veggies and do not tell them it isn't beef.

If its beef, my favorites are a grilled Ribeye steak, or a corned beef on the kettle. If it is pork, I like St. Louis cut ribs, or a rolled loin roast
in the smoker. Have cut back on some of the red meat for health reasons. I probably cook more pork, then poultry followed by beef.

I grew up on a farm. We raised both beef and pork (and chickens) and I much prefer pork and chicken. The cost is a plus but my taste says pork.

One of the problems is the skinny cows we are raising these days. You need to buy "Prime" beef to get what we used to call "beef" and it is VERY pricey, so a bit off putting. Fat is flavor and modern beef (at least in choice) seems to be limited and lack real old time beef flavor.

Chicken is available, along with pork at VERY favorable prices but that is not the only reason I favor them. It's just a matter of flavor...

But, that's just me...

Dale53

Pork wins in my life. I love dry aged steaks, brisket and prime rib but it costs far more than the mighty pig...3 to 8 times as much per pound..and the pig has ribs and shoulders that my cookers do magic to. I like to bbq too much to spend the money available all on beef....I would be left with time to bbq but no money to buy meat.

We eat quite a bit of ground and tenderloin from venison. Talking strictly BBQ my family much prefers pork butt and baby backs. I prefer brisket.

My preference is Beef, or chicken (thighs, wings), but a post today by Ray B in a recipe thread posted by Rita has me wanting to try brining some pork.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?211...Chops-Variations&p=66810&viewfull=1#post66810

Of course if I could try some of Jim's CSRs....

Beef ribs are killer too... I always think of them like a ribeye with a (bone) handle, makes me want to try a hotter/faster cook more like a well-done steak.

Price??? Depends. It's all too expensive. Chuck roasts are ~$3.99/lb, Boston Butts ~$1.79 unless I buy a >40# case @ costco, then it drops to ~$1.29/lb. Skirt/flank @ $8-9 is too much IMO, so's Tri-tip @ ~$7.

I found some sausage & Parmesan stuffed mushrooms @ the meat counter yesterday @ $3.99/lb (same as regular mushrooms). Those were good!

I guess I should clarify when I say my family I'm 23 and living at home til I build my house this spring my dad will eat it but brother and cousin who lives here will not and yeah we plan on sneaking it into spaghetti and tacos and chili and such without telling them this year I am only one who hunts In my house however. I went wild hog hunting in October in Texas had the time of my life and went with gfs dad and his friends they eat nothing but what they kill year round and swore to me wild hog was great I shot a 250 and 275
Pound boar some of them shot similar and some of them small sows they all taste like absolute crap to me I ended up giving one hog away and feeding my
Dog the other...

what I bbq varies. I choose what to do based on price/craving/time available/number of people to feed. I don't really have a preference.

I love a good beef steak but seldom buy them unless I find something for a good price in the clearance section, at $12+ for a t-bone that’s nuts to me. We like pork sirloin and chops and marinated chicken is a staple also. For BBQ Saint Louis style pork ribs and pork butts on the mini.

I'm a beef guy. I would eat steak and burgers 5 nights a week. But my better half likes chicken and pork with a little beef once in a while. Sooooo , we compromise. Price plays a role of course and we stock up on the specials at the market.
we often have spaghetti on Wednesdays (kind of a New England thing).

I love to cook a chuck roast, brisket and good ole burgers. Don't eat a lot of steak. Beef ribs are amazing if you can get a good rack that has not been trimmed right to the bone. I find as we age chicken seems easier to digest and we love chicken on the kettle or in the smoker. One of my favorite dishes is stuffed pork tenderloin and we love our homemade sausage.

I enjoy both, but pork gets the nod for me. I've almost always got pulled pork in the fridge and/or freezer to use in breakfast tacos, people rave about my competition-style ribs, and I looooove some sliced pork tenderloin.

Burgers and steak are a very common meal for us especially in fair weather but really starting thinking and paying attention since I made this status and we easily use more pork we buy a lot of the " charcoal steaks" and those huge rolls of burger on sale otherwise it's about all pork one thing I wish we ate more of is pork burgers I think they're fantastic

hello colby. depends on the cook, cravings, and company. I agree with you completely - pork ribs but beef steaks. doesn't mean I don't like beef ribs or pork steaks. im a carnivore. hell I even like mahi mahi and other fish, and poulty, all kinds of sausages and fattys. ok sorry ill stop.

go with what you like, the fun part is figuring out what you like best, practicing, mastering it and moving through the wide range of bbq meat options and techniques.

don't lift the lid...

Back