Pork loin, the grill and me not a good match. Help

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Need a little help from the forum family.
We buy whole boneless pork loin and cut them into about 1” chops and about 1/3 for a roast.
Brining isn’t a good option for me because I’m on a salt restricted diet. Every time I try to grill the chops or even roto the roast it comes out like cardboard, dry and nasty.
I’m cooking to 140 or slightly under and I’m uneasy about going any lower.
I’ve checked the pork recipes and searched “loin” but everything I see is brining.
Don’t seem to have the problem in our gas oven when I do them there.
Any ideas or do I give up pork loin on the grill.

Rich;
I prefer chops at 3/4". I sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning and grill over a very hot fire. Three or four minutes a side, let rest for five minutes and we are "good to go". I use my Performer, put a couple of thin fire bricks, dividing the charcoal grate and dump a full lit chimney behind the bricks. This gives several layers of coals and brings the fire up towards the food grate. The quick sear on both sides seem to leave enough moisture inside for great flavor and texture.

When I do a loin roast, I cover in rub after applying a coat of EVOO, sear on all "four" sides, then finish indirect with the same set up as i have outlined above.

Hopefully, the same set up with work for you.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Grill your loin 'steaks' the same as you do 'beef' steaks--medium rare over a hot grill. There hasn't been a case of tricinosis(sp) in decades and it's ok to cook them no more than medium.

Last edited:
I hear you about the pork temps. Pammi won't eat 'em if they have to much pink. Try this. Cook until 135* over a medium hot fire. Rest them under foil for 10 minutes. That should keep them from drying out too much and the carry over heat from the rest will bring it up to 140-145* . Hope this helps.

I'm trying to figure out how a pork loin could be "dry" when only cooked to 140. It just doesn't seem possible. Whether on the grill over high heat or in the smoker at 220, 140 IT always leads to a nice juicy pork loin for me.

is it possible that your therm is off ?

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Going to try a couple different ideas you gave me. I agree that the chop should be fine at 140 and both the maverick and thermo pop agree within a degree or so. I my be cooking them at to low a temp and the time factor is causing them to dry out.
I've tried the high heat method and pull them at 135 and let them rest but they sail right up to 150. Going to try med/high and pull at 130-135 and see if that works.
Again thanks for the suggestions.

Trying to grill boneless center cut pork loins, or pork tenderloins, you run right up against the trend over the years to make pork leaner and leaner.

I have mostly wimped out and now using a marinade of one sort or another to give myself a little larger margin of error when it comes to trying to keep the finished steaks/cuts from drying out. And, if you have one or more folks who can't abide ANY pink, you may have to take their piece and stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds.

Working for me:
1) Brine. You can brine a few slices of loin (No bone = Not a chop) in an hour. Too picky?
2) Cook over medium heat, about 350*
3) Cook to 140*. Slices should have a bit of pink. Anybody doesn't like any pink? Cook their's more.

Give up. Seriously. The loin is just not that good. As has been said, it is too lean and I'm with you (your wife) that cooking it too rare is not an option and frankly, I've had med rare at a restaurant and it didn't help much. I've gone to pork tenderloin. It grills up nice as either a roast or cut into steaks. For a roast, ask for a pork roast. I'm not sure exactly what cut it is, but it has more fat and it cooks up very nice and juicy.

For me, loin is not worth the effort. If I'm stuck with it, I make sure I have some good sauce to go with it.

Back