Pork Butt

• Thread starter Deleted member 4607
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 4607

Hello,

I've smoked pork butt few times before. I've always loosely followed "the renowned Mr. Brown" instructions. However, on the Internet I've found that some recipes call for tacking butt off the smoker about couple of hours before it is ready and boiling in a dutch oven in a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water with a pinch of red pepper flakes. I've never done it this way. Can you guys explain to me what the difference is? Does the second method produce different results?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex, why would one want to BOIL a perfectly good piece of meat that was almost done
icon_rolleyes.gif
let it finish smoking and thoroughly enjoy the finished product. I could see finishing in your regular oven if you were short of time but don't BOIL.

I understand what you guys are saying but some people cook pork butt differently and I would like to know why.

Think about words that start with the letter B.

When you are around your wife, there is a "B" word (I don't have to tell you) you just shouldn't use.

When you are around Packer fans, there is a "B" word (Bears) you just shouldn't use.

And when you are discussing BBQ, there is a "B" word (boil) that you just shouldn't use.

I guess if you do it the way they describe you would get mediocre pulled pork and mediocre butt water soup. MMMMmmmmm!!!

Originally posted by alex:
I understand what you guys are saying but some people cook pork butt differently and I would like to know why.
No offense Alex, but this topic is like a car wreck. People have to stop, look, and gasp at why someone would do something so foolish.

To answer your question, I think they use this method to have the pork disintegrate without pulling. The result may be like the "pulled" pork I've tried in some restaurants. A mushy mass of pork barbecue without a whole lot of flavor. But if you are selling a lot of the stuff, it will be easier and cheaper than pulling the meat by hand.

Give it a shot, and let us know your results.

Jim

Alex,

While the desciption provided might not meet what the majority around here call BBQ Pork Butt, in eastern carolina, in some remote section, this may be the way that they've done it forever, and it might just be pretty darn good. It might be terrible.

I think we're all quick to judge that this is crappy way to make BBQ, but has anyone tried it? It will have certainly obtained a smokey flavor, and simmering in a tangy vinegar based sauce might bring out some interesting flavors that you can't experience by just dumping vinegar on top of the meat, the vinegar will change while cooking. Personally, I find this approach interesting. Wouldn't do it for competition, but i can envision a rather intersting combination of flavors from this.

I can't answer why someone would do it this way. Best guess is its been handed down through generations. Could have started as a way to temper oversmoked, burned, crusty pork, maybe was a method of preserving large amounts that were cooked, I have no idea. What I do feel pretty strongly about is not dismissing a differing approach to making food because it doesn't meet what we think is normal. Carnitas of Latin heritage...simmer pork shouldler in lard, for hours, doesn't sound all that appealing, but I can assure you, you'll be hard pressed to ever find more moist, more flavorful pork anywhere!

I'd be first in line to try this vinegar simmered BBQ. Then I'll judge whether its good or bad. Keep an open mind and don't become a BBQ facist.

If you do it this way it is similar to broiling or pot roasting / slow cooking, it does produce tender meat but it is very easy to leave it cooking too long and cook it until it is just firmer than mush.

One recommendation if you do give it a go is, to use a turkey baster and suck out some of the fat from the juices, not that fat is bad, but all the juices from the fat will be in the pot too, and we prefer the juice a little less fatty.

You can also do it with brisket, chuck roast, flank steak, etc. If you prefer to cook beef down to tender strands.

Everyone should try it at least once!

The biggest problem I have with this is that you have to spend over 10 hours to get a butt almost done. After that much time into something, I'm not too willing to experiment. If someone tries it and has a good experience, then I might give it a try. Otherwise, I'll just stick with tried and true Mr. Brown.

thanks for responses, guys.
I have a book "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman. I am sure a few of you are familiar with it. Last night I looked up the recipe for pulled pork in it and it describes the method mentioned in my first post.

JRPfeff,
I take no offense. I am not really interested in comments like the one made by Clark, no offense.
I am a newbie to smoking but I love to cook and as an engineer I want to know different aspects to different approaches. If this method is traditional to east Carolina I would be interested why they cooking it this way as oppose to leaving on the smoker for another hour or two.

P.S. Michael Ruhlman in his recipe suggests to smoke pork shoulder only for about 3 to 4 hours and than transfer it to preheated dutch oven that has a mixture of cider vinegar, water and pepper flakes.

Hey alex, I apologize if my remarks got this thread going in a bad direction. I applaud those who want to know why people do things a certain way. There is nothing wrong with experimenting and trying out different methods.

Regional differences are really something we should all celebrate, as it would be a drab, dreary world if people everywhere were the same.

I would encourage you to give it a try and see what you think.

Alex,
No offense taken.
My post was intended to be humorous, not critical. It can be hard to convey this when posting in a forum. I forget that what I write will be read by many who do not know me or my sense of humor personally.
Since I've been q'ing I have come to find that pulled pork is soooo good when it is only smoked (I admit at times I need to "cheat" and will foil a butt with a vinegar based mop sauce and finish it in the oven), I have difficulty understanding how boiling it could make it better.
I can tell you this Alex, if I lived near you, and you prepared a butt this way, I'd at least try it if it were offered.

As a Dutch oven cooker for many years, I can say that I have never cooked anything one way and then put in a Dutch oven to finish. Not that it is wrong, I just never thought of it or wanted to.

Now I have taken all cuts and kinds of meats and cooked the whole cook in a Ducth oven, some of the best meals I have eat were cooked in a DO but I don't call it or consider that any kind of BBQ.

Doing this method would dissolve the bark we get when smoked and if not pulled at the right time you would have a mushy mess. Like Joe said it might bring a flavor none of us have ever had before. Got me to thinking now.

I have a butt in the freezer now and don't mind trying this just to find out for everyone here. From what I know of DO cooking and BBQ smoking I don't think I will like the results but doing it will prove what happens. I may try it this weekend if I get time, if not in the next week or so anyway. I will report back my findings.

Alex, This isn't a good answer but like others have said we have never heard of doing it this way here. BBQ smoking and Dutch oven cooking are 2 totally differently styles of cooking, never even considered combing the two until now.

Randy

Back