Pork butt on sale, waste of time to freeze?

Foodsaver is your best friend, for both freezing uncooked and cooked meat. But I've found that reheating in a microwave tends to dry out the meat. Unless I'm doing it wrong, I like the boiling water method bettee

I buy the double butts from RD. When I get them home, I separate them, put them into individual Foodsaver bags, and freeze them until needed. I do put the date on the bag and will try to use the oldest first. Haven't had an issue...

Last month I cooked two butts I found in the back of the freezer. Their "use by" date was February, 2013. They were delicious.

If they are cryo-sealed I have frozen them more than a few times and have found no difference between a cooked fresh and cooked frozen. (plus the reality is most store bought PB was already frozen)

Last month I cooked two butts I found in the back of the freezer. Their "use by" date was February, 2013. They were delicious.

Back last year, my brother reminded me that I had some butts in his freezer, so I went over and got them. They were dated 2010. Yep, over 3 years old. They too were delicious.

Foodsaver is your best friend, for both freezing uncooked and cooked meat. But I've found that reheating in a microwave tends to dry out the meat. Unless I'm doing it wrong, I like the boiling water method bettee

I've found that the microwave works fine for ribs and brisket, but for pulled pork, I have this nifty little 1.5 or 2 quart crock pot. I throw the frozen lump of pork in there before work (about 6:30 AM), set the timer (an outlet timer, not on the crock pot itself) to start at noon and turn off at 5 and set the crock pot's dial on "low". I often pour in about 1/4 cup of apple juice just to make sure it doesn't dry out. By the time we're sitting down to eat (about 6 PM), it's perfectly warmed.

I'll freeze uncooked butts, but not cooked ones. I don't think they taste as good as freshly smoked butt.

Back