Pork butt Cut In Half

At home it is 60/40 or more with the bone. I cook on the hotter side when I do a party. So for me it can be faster. Or just let it ride, no wrap and good

I dont think I would split a small roast, generally though I end up with a large one because thats all the store had in stock...the reason I started splitting them is for flavor, smoke-rub can only penetrate so far into the meat so the center section turns out kinda boring....I chop the meat and mix it well then vacuum seal it, splitting added just a bit more smoke flavor and 2 halves are easier to handle vs one large one.

I remember Bob Cornell doing this for more smoke flavor surface area I saw him cut one up into 3 or peices. Turned out very well. Also cooks faster

Anything over 8 lbs, I get the butcher to cut in half. They seem to cook faster that way and more bark is a happy consquence.
Almost any butcher at a grocery store should do that for you.
I'm intrigued by the butterflied butt. I'll try that on the next one I smoke.

I would like to cut one in half to smoke one side and make sausage out of the other side.
This seems like a good idea but some of my good ideas get me in trouble :).

Our local cuts don’t have much of a fat cap so I normally just cross cut that with a knife.
I figure the smoked half will keep the fat cap and the other I will grind up and add some fat to it.

Have any of you done this?

Back