Pork Belly Acquired - Suggestions?

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
So, my WSM 18 arrived today...and the wife acquired a full brisket and a pork belly at Costco. Will be saving the brisket for a bit (assume it is fine at the bottom of the fridge for a while...I think it said BB Sep 4/20).

Anyways, I am specifically looking for advice regarding the pork belly on the WSM 18.

I have read, you can cure and do bacon, etc... or make pork candy... or make burnt ends.... or make it like a brisket.

The pork belly is 9lbs and I was debating whether to cut in half and try 2 different methods or just leave in tact and do it all in one smoked low and slow like a brisket.

See pics below. Is that just the fat cap on the back or is that also skin or are they one in the same? Thoughts on the cut?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

first-pork-belly-front.jpg

first-pork-belly-back.jpg

While I've never make a pork belly, I like the idea of home made pork belly burnt ends. I'd cut slits in the fat cap to help it render and then wet brine for 24 hrs, dry well, do a memphis or kc style rub, then smoke it like a brisket, then cube and add more rub, then put in a pan, and back in the smoker for about an hour with a lite coat of good bbq sauce - just going by memory on what I've read about. here's a recipe that calls for cubing the PB before you smoke it... https://www.oklahomajoes.com/recipes/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends

I am with John, I would cut it in half, turn half into pork belly burnt ends and I would follow the below link and make some homemade bacon with the other half.
Here is my resent post about my first attempt. I have done two more batches since very similar recipe to the first just went with a smaller minion method and was able to keep a 5 lb cut in two halves on for over 4 hours. Just did another 3 lb done in under 4 hours.
I really want to try a snake set up and go even lower in temps, but bacon is awesome to make.

Oh and that looks like good fat not skin I would not touch it!

You can make burnt ends and still have enough for pork belly sandwiches. I cook it like a brisket, low and slow and when it hits the stall then wrap it and cook till at least 200. There are videos on youtube that demonstrate this. As for skin, I suppose you make cracklins but it will take longer to cook. I usually remove the skin and just cook with the fat but remove any excess fat to get a even width throughout the meat.

I am with John, I would cut it in half, turn half into pork belly burnt ends and I would follow the below link and make some homemade bacon with the other half.
Here is my resent post about my first attempt. I have done two more batches since very similar recipe to the first just went with a smaller minion method and was able to keep a 5 lb cut in two halves on for over 4 hours. Just did another 3 lb done in under 4 hours.
I really want to try a snake set up and go even lower in temps, but bacon is awesome to make.

Oh and that looks like good fat not skin I would not touch it!

Ditto this. Split it up and try these two out.

Been making Bob Cs bacon recipe for a few years now and never have had a bad cook. I cut mine into thirds makes it easier to cure them. Morton Tender Quick is very easy to use if you can't find it locally LEM is where I get mine and seem to have the best price.
I use a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon mixed up into a slurry. I apply that right after I put the tender quick on.
We will never go back to store bought bacon again.

Been making Bob Cs bacon recipe for a few years now and never have had a bad cook. I cut mine into thirds makes it easier to cure them. Morton Tender Quick is very easy to use if you can't find it locally LEM is where I get mine and seem to have the best price.
I use a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon mixed up into a slurry. I apply that right after I put the tender quick on.
We will never go back to store bought bacon again.

There is something particularly rewarding about curing your own bacon / meat. And it really is pretty easy to do as long as you follow the rules.

definitely cut it in half or 1/3 and make your own bacon. Week later, you will become spoiled and never want to buy store bought bacon ever again.
I cured & smoked some bacon last spring & gave some to a friend of mine. I said he can't go back to store bought bacon. I cured another slab just for him & his wife says I have to teach Dan how to do it.

Back