Porcupine Meatloaf, mashed taters, broccoli rabe

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
OK, that should have been: Porcupine, meatloaf, mashed taters, broccoli rabe. ;)
My wife Janelle and I went hiking today with a local hiking group. Beautiful day for it. Great views and a porcupine in a tree. Cool.

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

Got home after 2 PM and started the meatloaf immediately. 1.5 lb of 80/20 ground beef, another 1.5 lb of ground pork. Used Alton's recipe, more or less.

Mixed, probed, ready to go.
IMG_3501.jpg

Used this custom-made device to keep the door ajar and kick the temp up. Used 1/2 chimney of briquettes with a ring of unlit RO lump. No wood.
IMG_3502.jpg

The WSM oven temp is up, time to glaze with 2 parts homemade BBQ sauce, 1 part ketchup and a dollop of honey.
IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

Sauced again just before taking it off the smoker. Took under two hours for internal temp of meatloaf to hit 160F.
IMG_3508.jpg

Plated. Roasted garlic mashed potatoes with pecorino romano, mushroom gravy, and broccoli rabe with plenty of gaaaaahlic! Really delicious and hit the spot.
IMG_3511.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Cheers!

I have made porcupine meatballs before with rice so I thought that was what you were doing with your meat loaf. ;) Excellent looking meatloaf and sides and the photos are fantastic!

Sir, I would like to be invited for lunch and i paid well;).
You are cooking for me Gary, we have similar taste buds.
Nice pics, thanks.

Ahh man, bait N switch! Porcupine meat loaf indeed:rolleyes:

Great idea for the door though, I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to try it.

Great meal, Gary. That meatloaf looks fantastic!! And that mushroom gravy looks unbelievably tasty!!!

Mike

A tad disappointed that it wasn't porcupine meatloaf :(
but I got over it when I saw the tantalizing cook, and beautiful photography :)

Two quills up Gary!

Back